Topic ClosedTurning the r-pod into a r-pumpkin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turning the r-pod into a r-pumpkin
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:25am
We'll be spending Halloween weekend at one of our favorite campgrounds in Codorus State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/codorus.aspx).  Friday and Saturday night they have a big bash 6-10 pm.  Half of the campground is turned into Halloween Central with activities and trick-or-treating from campsite to campsite ($10 per car entry).  Last year we were there for the weekend but weren't "in the action".  We were impressed with it so this year we decided to participate and I just finished ordering some stuff.  Two CASES of candy for starters.  There will be hundreds of kids each night so I don't expect to go home with much.

I also got to thinking about the 'pod.  With the curve on the front I had an idea.  I just ordered a huge orange tarp (20' X 30') which I'm going to wrap around the 'pod from front to back.  On the front I'm going to add black tape to make it look like a carved pumpkin.  Should look cool.  At least it does in my head! 

I made sure to get a tarp big enough that we can use it for cover the rest of the year, but not so big that it completely covers the sides of the 'pod so we can get inside while its a pumpkin.  When we know its going to rain on a trip we'll set up both of our 10 X 10 EZ-ups, but over the years holes have worn in the fabric.  This tarp will serve double-duty to waterproof the tops of the EZ-ups with some extra left over to either create an awning or hang down to protect from wind-blown rain.

I'll make sure I post some pics of the r-pumpkin.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 12:19pm
I like it...pics please!  It ought to be fun for the kids.  Many of our State Parks have Halloween events also (I've heard they pack the house).  I haven't done one...I'm afraid I'd go bankrupt buying candy! Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 5:23pm

Yeah, we spent over $100.  Ouch.  But where we live we get zero kids every year so this makes up for it!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
Ouch yes!

I might add, to everyone on the forum....
I hope each of you shares my strong sense of responsibilty to personally test/sample ( quite extensively) the products that you will be giving away on this occasion!  It is a small sacrifice to make to insure the safety of the children!

I pay for the candy twice...once at the store, and later, in the dentist chair LOL.  Ouch YES!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:21pm
Oh yes.  I made sure that one of the 2 cases of candy was Nerds, one of my favorites.  I will be doing lots of random sampling to ensure quality and safety.Dead
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:26am
Thanks for posting the link on Codorus State Park.  My travels may take me up I-81 and I might check into the place.  It looks like only certain campsites are "pet friendly".  Any recommendations on particular sites?  Do you know if they consider German Shepherds an "aggressive breed" (some do)?  An electric site might be nice, as I will be "dry" in the National parks.

I am going to the Smoky Mts. and then heading up towards Shenandoah and will likely take I-81, but have no definate plans beyond the Smoky's.  This will be something to decide around the campfire.  I would probably be in the area around Wed., Thurs., or Friday, but again, nothing certain at this point.

I'm home today; busy with "pre-launch" activities, but will check in occassionally.  Thanks!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:36am
Speaking of Pods and Halloween, I got this in an e-mail from KOA.  For you pumpkin carvers, one of the templates kind of looks like a Pod.

pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:12am
I like the ideal.  If you do create it pictures would be fantastic.  Here is my contribution.  To answer your questions; Yes I have too much time on my hands, Yes, it's photoshopped.  I don't think Nuestro Pod would appreciate the Mod.

Happy Halloween
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:33am

Here is the campground map:  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/codorus/codorus_camp_pdf.pdf

They close the last day of October so if you'll be going by later than the 30th you can ignore the rest of this message.  No sites have water or sewer, there are public water faucets all around and dishwashing stations at the bath houses.  Most of the bath houses don't have heat so can be a little chilly this time of year.  I think the one on the B loop does, going by memory from last year.  They have a good dump station, with a dumpster and a drinking water faucet there too - far from the dump stations.  If you will be there Halloween weekend they close off the main road at site 81 on Thursday (maybe earlier) so your only pet options are on the B loop.

All of the pet sites on the B loop are in the woods and have electric.  43 is nice since you have nobody around you on 3 sides and lots of room.  44 is roomy and has direct access to the public water faucet, so if you need to load up on water you just need a long hose.  The pet + electric sites fill up fast though, so book in advance.

Most of the pet sites on the C and D loops are in the open.  Only 5 have electric there.  The ones along the main road in the 140's and 80's are all in the woods, as is 139.  However, 139 and 140 are very close, good for groups but not if you want a little privacy.  144 gets a lot of foot and vehicle traffic going by on the access road to the overflow parking lot behind it (a trail head is at the parking log along with the playground and access to the amphitheater).  However, its one of my favorites because it has tons of room, nobody on 3 sides, and the fire ring is far from the camper pad so you don't get smoked out if the wind is going the wrong way.

You'll have to call the campground to see about your dog, I've seen big dogs there before.  717-637-2418
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
Love the face - that's just about what I was envisioning, but mine will be all black.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>