R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Issue
    Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:33pm
Hi Dwight and Nancy, bummer about your tire woes.

I am another Carlisle fan, it is our 3rd set of tires on our 10 year old 177.  The last set we had from Discount Tire were Hartlands "C" range tires, they were ok but after 5 years with these I thought it would be wise to go to a "D" range tire that runs at 65 psi. 

The most amazing thing noted was when traveling to Discount tire (35+ miles away) with the old Hartlands there was a stiff 35+ mph crosswind.  I could see the sidewall of the tire flexing as we traveled and even felt the wind blow not only the trailer but the trailer also caused our pickup to shift a wee bit because of the high winds, we run with a Curt friction bar only.

After getting our new Carlisle "D" trailer tires the change felt during travel was dramatic.  The winds were just as strong yet there was no tire flexing (sidewalls) and the 177 as well as the pickup were rolling down the road as if there were no wind present.   The Carlisle trailer tire has proven itself reliable and trustworthy for many decades.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:20pm
Hello Nancy and Dwight. It is amazing how much damage can happen when a tire fails!

I am glad you are alright and I hope your trailer was easily repairable.

I have had good service from Carlisle tires on all my trailers from travel trailers, light duty open utility trailers to a heavier covered utility trailer. I have NEVER heard of so many tires blowing up for no reason till we started reading up on all these, ummm, questionable off-brand inexpensively manufactured trailer tires that TT's come with now.

Many here swear by the better quality Goodyear tires and sometimes it pays off in the long run to get better (more expensive) tires. Peace of mind is priceless!

I would say you take good care of your rig and even then they are blowing up, so don't wait any longer to see if the other tires you got are going to blow up on you...I would suggest you get a good set of replacement tires.

You can sell the ones you have if you are comfortable with that of course. It is terrible to need to throw new tires (and money you spent on them) out, but I couldn't sell them myself...but that is just me and how I do things. (Do you know any farmers who may need tires to attach to their hay bale cover tarps?) They would take them for free!

Good luck and I hope this has helped!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
nlrstate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:41pm
The original tires on our 178 lasted just over five years, which I know is unusual.  We kept them properly inflated, monitored the tread wear, and were very fortunate. They were ST205/75R14 - Load C (50psi)

In February 2020 I purchased three National Roadmax ST205/75R14 - Load D (65psi).  After about 5,000 miles of use during COVID, we had a horrific blowout on I40 this past March.  The tire was destroyed, and it blew off the r-pod fender. We were blessed that we were not traveling fast (about 65mph) and we were able to get safely to the side; however we ruined the wheel by driving directly on it to get to safety.

Tire dealer ordered a replacement tire under warranty.  Today, headed to the NCAA baseball regionals in Fayetteville (Go Hogs!) we had another blowout - it was not the replacement tire but one of the 3 purchased in 2020, and it was on a new wheel.  Fortunately we were only about 20 miles from home, and traveling around 50mph on a two lane road.  I had checked the tires for proper cold pressure this morning.  

Did we just get a bad batch of tires?  Any recommendations as to what to purchase now?  We're not interested in moving to a 15" wheel (tho' our r-pod came with axle risers).

Thanks for your insights and recommendations.

Nancy & Dwight
2015 rpod 178
2013 Tahoe LTZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12