R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBurnishing brakes - Event Date: 31 May 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Burnishing brakes
    Posted: 31 May 2021 at 3:01pm
I noticed on Forest River video site that there is a process for burnishing Lippert electric brakes. This is the first I have heard this or come across the necessity. So, is this something required for my new 192?  I plan to take it out soon so it sounds like I need to do this before my first trip. 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 3:46pm
From reports here, people have complained of weak or almost no brakes with new trailers, even with the brake system on their TV set to max. After burnishing as directed in video Lippert provides they report much improved braking.

If you are experiencing weak brakes it is important to ensure your brakes are working properly first before carrying on.

Once they have been checked serviceable then proceed to burnish/break them in.

We are waiting for our 192 to be made and delivered and burnishing them is at the top of my list to do!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
GregB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 3:49pm
Thanks, Andy. This setup/maintenance item got past me. Never mentioned by the dealer as something to do. 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 4:47pm
No problem, that is why this is a great forum for everyone, and I have Learned a lot...we have been out of towing a travel trailer around for 17 years so this is a good way to catch up as we wait for ours to arrive.

If you have the time and ability it would be a good idea to check the connectors that FR probably used on the wiring for the brake system. They are problem ridden and are called insulation displacement type. I have read a lot on them not giving a good solid connection.

The most common method of DIY upgrading the connection is good quality butt connectors with heat shrink placed and shrunk down to provide a water proof seal over the connection.

If your brakes are working properly once you do the burnish, you could do the connectors when you have more time.

Plenty of threads here discussing this upgrade.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
GregB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 12:29pm
Contacted FR and they said yes, new brakes need to be burnished. I contacted the dealer and they said not a big deal. So, I burnished them per video instructions a what a difference! The brakes hardly worked until they were burnished. Live and learn. FR 1 and dealer 0.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
Thanks for coming back and letting us know your positive outcome on your brakes! Who knew they needed burnishing when new, eh!

Now I will go back to staring at the calendar awaiting our trailer to come off the line and make its way to our local dealer.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
GregB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:05pm
It’s worth waiting for. I am loving mine so far. One minor issue was the end of the Murphy bed frame was jagged and needed some touch up. It would have been easy to gash your skin on the corner getting in or out of bed.  Happy Burnishing. 
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by GregB

I plan to take it out soon so it sounds like I need to do this before my first trip. 

You can break in or burnish new electric brakes during your first trip, as long as you incorporate it into your travels and understand that braking effectiveness will get better as the number of miles (and the number of stops) increase.

This assumes that you wont head right off into the mountains or big city stop-n-go traffic as soon as you leave your immediate neighborhood. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply