R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDual axle versus single axle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual axle versus single axle?
    Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:30am
My wife thinks a dual axle travel trailer will tow better than our single axle Rpod 177.

I don't think so.

We are considering a TT, dual axle, about 20 feet total length.  There don't seem to be a lot of them of any brand.  And likely NOT a Forest River product.....any more.....what with the wheels bowing outward, the fit and finish, and the narrow interior walls as compared to a TT with the wheels under the walls.

Opinions?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:59am
We have been real pleased with our single axle wheels under the 7' wide trailer that replaced our 172.  No more worrying about the fat person sitting on a flimsy bench syndrome that come from insufficiently strong axles to handle the outboard wheels.  As I understand it, the new larger rPods have underneath wheels and the biggest models have double axles.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:15am
I have a single axle rpod and a tandem axle horse trailer. The tandem axle trailer is more stable and the tongue weight is less variable with variable loading (horses move around). I like towing it better than the rpod. You Aldo have the benefit of additional braking capacity and redundancy if you have a flat.

That being said, if you are tow weight limited you might not have much choice, the tandems are significantly heavier (naturally). I don't think the inboard axle mounting had anything to do with handling while towing, the axle tubes don't flex to speak of (until you bend one).
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:32am
I not so sure about towing better, but a dual axle will surely have a better safety margin in terms of flat tires and potential axle failures (all else being equal). Of course dual-axle trailers are most likely going to weigh more as well.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:26pm
Like you, we have a 177. It has 34,000+ miles and is 10 years old and have used a simple Curt friction bar to reduce sway.  Has been towed mainly by Explorer's and the last two years F-150.  By keeping the hitch weight at least 11% or more of the total loaded pod weight we have never had any issues and we always leave with a full FW tank which is, as you know, located behind the axle. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by jato

Like you, we have a 177. It has 34,000+ miles and is 10 years old and have used a simple Curt friction bar to reduce sway.  Has been towed mainly by Explorer's and the last two years F-150.  By keeping the hitch weight at least 11% or more of the total loaded pod weight we have never had any issues and we always leave with a full FW tank which is, as you know, located behind the axle. 

Are your wheels/tires canted in at the top a slight bit?  Mine do and it just bugs the hell out of me.  But....I don't see any adverse tire wear on the inside edge.

Is it just one of the those optical collusions?
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:57pm
Put a level vertically against the tire/rim and it will tell you if the wheel is canted. I don't know if is supposed to be exactly vertical or comes from the factory with some small degree of cant. I would assume that a perfectly vertical wheel would tow better and have less tire wear.
Does anyone know what the factory angle is?
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:00pm
No idea what 'dual axles' are...or how that would even work.

Tandem axles? One in front of the other? Yeah they tend to add stability AND weight. With heavy loads it's worth it.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

No idea what 'dual axles' are...or how that would even work.

Tandem axles? One in front of the other? Yeah they tend to add stability AND weight. With heavy loads it's worth it.

Dual axle or tandem axle.  Do a Google search and you'll find both descriptions used for two axles, one behind the other.  Oops, one in front of the other, sorry podwerkz.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:40am
Originally posted by geewizard

Originally posted by jato

Are your wheels/tires canted in at the top a slight bit?  Mine do and it just bugs the hell out of me.  But....I don't see any adverse tire wear on the inside edge.

Is it just one of the those optical collusions?

I noticed that the slide side tire was canted in after 6 months of travel.  Was not sure if it came that way or not, I was so excited to have a pod that one went over my head.  Took it back to the dealer and they showed another one on the lot that appeared just like mine.  Dealer stated the weight on the slide was more so caused the tire to cant in.  Maybe yes, maybe no.  I am like you, I don't like the appearance of it yet after going through 2 sets of tires (just purchased a 3rd set 2 months ago) and 34,000 + miles over the past 10 years I have seen minimal excess wear on the inside edge.  It has never gotten worse so for now . . . .I will live with it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply