R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDull fiberglass - Event Date: 16 May 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Dull fiberglass
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:50pm
Hi ya'l,  Ok, took my 2017 out of the HOA parking lot and started to get ready for the first trip since the **** pandemic.  Thus it has been over a year sitting and baking in the South Carolina sun.  When I put it in storage i used that blue Wash n Wax, but it didn't keep it protected. Now i have a dull roof and the Wash n Wax isnt bringing it alive. I found behind the spare tire  the light gray color is coming off and it looks like the light gray may have been painted on or maybe touched up.  So what do I do now to protect the top and get a shine back?
Thanks for listening,

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:48am
Polishing compound will help. It will be a lot of work, even if you have a random orbital polisher. I noticed the same on ours. I went to wash it and it looked like there was dirt embedded in the gel coat. I was able to wash it off, but the roof and front looked dull.

I used Turtle Wax Clean Finish Polishing Compound UPC 0746600141772 with an AutoSpa 6" Polisher, model 94000ASWDI. I used the foam bonnet for applying and finished with a microfiber buffing pad. I found it easier to wash the residue off before the final polishing. I only did the front for now. I will have to do the roof. However, I did finish the job with a coat of Protect-All. I can see that I will have to repeat that more frequently.

When I can, I will use the polishing compound on the roof also. I think I might want to get the larger polisher before doing so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:13am
Get a bottle of Zymol.  Works wonders on oxidized paint.  I use it on my antique cars, sewing machines, etc.  Don't know what it is but it WORKS.  Feeds the paint somehow - rags stay quite clean.

EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:20am
John...I see there are several Zymol products.  Which do you use for oxidized paint?  Thanks.
Julie
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:47pm
Original formula Cleaner Wax.  I think it was originally from europe, but what ever it is it is just magic.  I have never tried just the cleaner, but it may be a bit more heavy duty.  I can recall the days when one would go thru a whole stack of rags with "pre wax cleaner".  Not any more.........
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:41pm
I just watched a video by a professional boat repairman, who changed from Meguiar’s Extreme Oxidation buffing compound to Total Boat Total Buff for removing sanding marks on his repairs using a wool buffing pad at a low speed on an electric buffer. He showed several samples using down to 400 grit sanding paper. It took two times to bring back the shine on the 400 grit sanding swirls, but he was shocked by how good it was. I have heard excellent reviews on Total Boat products for other things and this has convinced me to give this a try. You need to follow it with a wax. Total boat will give you a 10% off your first order is you give them your email. I have always loved Meguiar products, but I am giving this a shot. I am not affiliated in any way. TotalBoat.com
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:00pm
John

I called Zymol and she recommended the "Detail" wax.  So I ordered because she had a discount code which saved 40%!!!  I wasn't so terribly smart in school when it came to weights and measures, but I know 40% is a heck of a deal.

cost + shipping= over $20. Small price to pay for a nice shinny top.

Did I tell ya I wasn't the brightest student.  OK everyone,, HA HA HA

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
karllindgren View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 1:43pm
Check out OPTIMUM gelcoat restorer. It will restore your gelcoat with no buffing. Great products
 Post Reply Post Reply