R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GENERATORS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATORS???
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:36pm
Ok, I have a question about generators... I am looking to buy a generator but every time I ask someone at a store I get different answers!! UGHHH...!!! So I figured I would ask the people who have used them, R-Pod Campers......YAH US!!! Ok I am looking to purchase a generator that is pretty quiet like a inverter generator. I am looking for one that will run my a/c on my 180 but is also quiet.  I looked at the Honda's but it looks like I need to sell a kidney to afford one.  Any suggestions. I am trying to stay under $1000.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:52pm
Check out other brands. I purchased a dual-fuel Firman generator. Firman makes generators sold under other brands. Recently, they started selling them under their own name. 

Another suggestion: Check out the Harbor Freight Predator generator They get generally good reviews and I have seen them in action. They are quiet for sure. 

Like any engine, keeping the oil changed and full is critical. You don't want to shorten the life with dirty oil. Also, if you use gasoline, make sure you purchase only ethanol free gasoline and use stabilizer such as Sta-Bil in it. Your small engines work best without ethanol which can attract water and gum up carburators.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:24pm
Hello Shane, I am glad you decided to post your dilemma here as I am sure you will hear plenty of thoughts as many here boondock.

So here goes my take on your question.
Honda inverter generators are wonderful, but expensive. I have a big 7000 watt inverter Honda at my off grid water access cottage to back up my solar system in the winter. It is sized properly for the load/work I require of it, when I need it. I need quality and dependability and quiet and it delivers.

Now, to trailer appropriate genny's. If you want to use all your appliances,your aircon and micro/oven...you need a genny in the 3300 watt peak to handle the heavy start loads. I have a Firman 3300 watt inverter genny from Costco that I will travel with when I get my pod. Other than the junk spark plug which I replaced before putting oil in (read all the reviews available on Costco site re the Firman as there is a lot of good info to help you out), it works perfectly. It is very quiet, only about 750 Canadian dollars so less expensive in the States. As on any genny, proper break in and oil changes etc are important for long life and dependability.

If you have restricted storage space (we have an F150 with a cap so have a bit of elbow room for extra stuff) you can downsize to a 2200 watt Honda, Yamaha, maybe even a Champion etc inverter generator...which if you install an easy start on your aircon, will allow you to use it as it lowers the initial heavy electrical demand. You will need to load monitor if you go in this direction to meet your needs if you want to use other heavy loads while using the aircon. Many here swear by the use of the easy start though it can be pricey.   

Whatever genny you decide, always use premium fuel to eliminate ethanol. Ethanol is hydroscopic among other problems that come with it and absorbs moisture from the fuel as well as from the air. The untreated fuel can start breaking down in as little as month or 2, leading to varnish etc creating problems in your carb and lines.

Any fuel you use treat immediately with a good quality fuel stabilizer so it is good for at least a year...you will appreciate the lack of fuel issues after your low use or seasonal motors don't fail on you when you need them. This goes for all seasonal motors by the way.

I also have had a 2000 watt Champion inverter genny and it was also an impressive little genny, just was too small for my cottage once I had the solar system put in.

Again, I hope this helps!

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:26pm
Consider dual fuel inverter generators.  They run on propane as well as gasoline.  Then you don't have to worry about the ethanol issue.  Also, consider putting an EasyStart in your AC if you plan run it on your generator.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:27pm
Hey Stephenh! Good post, we are on the same wavelength!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Shane

I looked at the Honda's but it looks like I need to sell a kidney to afford one. 

Or if you have a stack of 2x4 lumber, that might be a good trade. 

Embarrassed

I am kinda partial to Champion generators...I own a couple and the only time I needed some help from customer service, something that was MY fault was covered for free OUT OF WARRANTY.

I'd buy another one if either of mine got stolen or something.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by campman

Whatever genny you decide, always use premium fuel to eliminate ethanol. Ethanol is hydroscopic among other problems that come with it and absorbs moisture from the fuel as well as from the air. The untreated fuel can start breaking down in as little as month or 2, leading to varnish etc creating problems in your carb and lines.

Any fuel you use treat immediately with a good quality fuel stabilizer so it is good for at least a year...you will appreciate the lack of fuel issues after your low use or seasonal motors don't fail on you when you need them. This goes for all seasonal motors by the way.
One quibble with what you wrote Andy. Not all premium gasoline is ethanol free. It has to specify ethanol-free in order to be sure it is. Other than that, that is good advice.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:27pm
What normally is ethanol free is called RV gas . . . no ethanol and is 90-91 octane.  I run it in all my small engines: string trimmer, chain saws, leaf blower, log splitter, snow blower.  Most amazing is I never have to add Stabil or any thing similar to RV or Rec. gas.  My leaf blower sits for 11 months at a time without getting used.  1 pull on full choke and it starts right up - been that way for years.  Wouldn't do that with regular gas sitting in a tank for that long.  Before using rec or RV gas I would add Stabil to my log splitter as it would not get used for up to 6 months at a time,  bad results, as things gummed up and had to purchase a new carb, it was so gummed up I was unable to clean it out good enough to have it run properly and it was only 3 years old.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:22pm
Absolutely, positively, use ethanol-free gas in any small gas engine.  Ethanol will kill a small engine if you aren't careful.  Around here I don't think it's available in premium octane, but it is more expensive than gas with 10% ethanol gasoline.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:35pm
The dirty secret about ethanol is that it has less energy per gallon than gasoline. When 10% is added to gasoline, the mileage one gets from that adulterated gasoline is about 10% less than if gasoline without ethanol were used. Not to mention that something that is a food stock is then diverted into making ethanol. I'm not sure about the numbers, but it takes much more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than it does to produce a gallon of gasoline. The link below has some numbers, but  that is only one side of the picture. The second link has pros and cons of ethanol.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>