R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvaporitive/Swamp cooler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evaporitive/Swamp cooler
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:20am
Anyone try one of these: Amazon.com: Hessaire MC18M Portable Evaporative Cooler – Gray, 1300 CFM, Cools 500 Square Feet: Home & Kitchen
It looks like it draws about 85 watts (edit).  We have a real small version that will cool you if you are directly in front of it.  Just wondering if this would help any when boondocking?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:26am
Not if you live in the East where it's humid. Swamp coolers are ineffective when the dew point exceeds around 55. Which is why you don't see them on houses outside the desert areas. I had one when I lived in Phoenix and it didn't even work there in July/Aug when the humidity goes up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:45am
Kinda what I figured.....I think cracking the windows open and running the fan will work if the outside temps are reasonable.  We have a couple of stays on our way to Maine in June that will be unhooked.  I think the overnight temperatures should be low enough.  My wife doesn't handle heat well.......we may end up in motels if it gets hot.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:05am
EIGHTY FIVE AMPS??

Whew....I looked....85 WATTS....huge difference!

Sometimes when boondocking, clean water to fill these things is as precious as the electricity to run them.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:14am
Sorry yes it was watts.  Our boondocking is more staying at Harvest hosts or Walmart so we can probably find water okay but if it doesn't work it may not be worth the effort.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:08am
If it was dry enough to work (which it won't be where we live) it would use roughly a gallon of water an hour to cool the trailer equivalent to a 9000 btu/hr a/c. You could go through your whole fresh water tank in a day.

You should be fine in Maine in June. You can get a couple of 12v fans to direct where you are sitting or sleeping. That's what I do. You need a 12v power port, a 12v wye, and extension cable or two. Here's what I use:

fan

If you get unlucky and run into really hot weather find a campground with ac hookups and run the jet turbine mounted on your roof.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:34am
We would only be using it for our overnight rest stays so max use would be about 8 hours we have electric hookup for the rest of the stay.  This is all East coast travel so humidity would probably be high enough so it wouldn't work.  Some of these units come with freeze containers I guess to add to the cool but I'm sure that wouldn't last long.  I'm hoping that we are far enough north that the overnight temps will still be pretty cool......otherwise it will be the motel option.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:49am
Not last long is right, maybe 40 lbs of ice to give 9000 btu of cooling, roughly an hours worth. And the air coming off it would be very damp.

I agree with you, hotel if it's really hot, not worth being miserable. But the fans blowing on
you will keep you feeling comfortable for about another 10 degrees or so, we use them a lot in the summer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 3:40pm
I checked my Artic Cool individual cooler which is a mini swamp cooler.  It is about 95 degrees in camper and when I checked the air coming out of cooler it was about 64 degrees.  I think these may help if you blow it directly at you.  They run off usb plug so they don't draw much.  I got 12" 12 volt fan that looks to be similar to the overhead fan in the bathroom so it puts out plenty of air.  Still a little curious about the swamp cooler as I was surprised at how cool the air from the mini swamp cooler was....I may take another look at the Hessaire
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:50am
Don't be fooled. We're not in the high humidity part of the year yet.

Check the wet bulb temperature not the dry bulb temperature. A swamp cooler can reduce the temperature to a number around 10 degrees above the the wet bulb temp. It can't cool below that because at that point your air will be at 100% humidity in the trailer and you'd have to condense water out to get it cooler, only an a/c can do that. 100 % humidity will be very uncomfortable when the temp gets up to the high 60s/low 70's.

So if you only want to cool in the spring when the humidity is still low ok but in the summer in the East not so much.

comfort zone
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>