R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble with door, sagging wall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble with door, sagging wall
    Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:47pm
Better than string and chewing gum I guess....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
janr-181g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote janr-181g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm
This is an old thread, and I did not realize I was a member here. 
I have the sagging wall issue with a 2013 181G.  In the process of repairing, I noticed a gap in the lower trim, and found I had water infiltration in the wall by the slide out. 
I also noticed the fiberglass buckled at the lower edge. Since I had the lower piece of trim removed, and had access to inside the wall, I found that the wall frame, which sits on top of the floor platform, had shifted laterally outward 1/4".  The wall is connected to the outer floor frame, by screws driven from below. In removing these screws, I found the ones by the shifted wall are broken off at the point where they meet.   I have no pressed the wall back in to alignment and fixed the delamination in the outer wall. The wall is no flat, the buckle at the bottom removed. 
I would say that one side of my trailer was held together by gravity and caulking. 

LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:16am
Thanks.  No big deal to me, just thought it was odd that the driver side stuck out and the other is tucked in.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:11pm
Checked axle and how it is connected to the frame.  No way to slide the axle side to side unless you or someone you know is good at welding.  Would require one to either remove and re-locate existing bracket on axle over a bit or simply weld another bracket on each end so the axle could be centered.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 4:42pm
I am hoping I caught it early enough.  You can see it when looking from the back (along the side) an$ can feel it when you rub your hand on it, but I don’t think anyone would native it unless I told them what to look for or had them rub their hand over the specific area.  No spider cracks in fiberglass or gloss coat, bottom trim is intact and sealant is still perfect.  I have the slide in with a jack applying light support until I receive the outriggers.  Really wish they would have just issued a service bulletin to notify owners.  I would have had no problem buying the parts and installing them as a preventative measure.   

K. Frost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K. Frost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 3:07pm
Boozer, has your fiberglass buckled too? Just think, if Forest River had issued a recall to add some $3 supports, I would not have had the fiberglass damage. Also, the repair shop said that because if the downward tension on the bottom trim, water seeped into the lower edge of the fiberglass.
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 12:39pm
Thanks Frost.  The buckling is new because I washed the pod a couple of weeks ago before our last trip and just noticed it yesterday.  I definitely would have noticed it when washing.  I am hoping to get in touch with FR today and order 8 and install 4 on each side.  Hopefully I caught this before it caused too much damage.
K. Frost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K. Frost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:24am
Both sides of my 179 sagged. First the slide side and then the door side. The shop jacked up both sides and welded custom outrigger supports (6 on each side). Custom supports because Forest River was not responding with the part number for their supports. We wanted to fix it before we got more damage. The fiberglass had started buckling along the bottom trim piece. 
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:55am
Originally posted by LB Boozer

One last thing, how off-center on the frame are your R-Pods?  I was sitting there looking for any issues in the wall and noticed that the driver side tire sticks out past the fender and the passenger side is tucked into the fender.  Took a tape to it and the distances from frame to the end of the floor are (6 1/2 - pass. 7 1/4 - driver).  Looks like it is only offset 3/8” but makes a noticeable difference on how much the tires stick out (or don’t) of the fenders.

I will have to look but when I installed a 3.5" lift kit four years ago on our 177 it seemed like it would have been possible to end of with the axle "off center" as you describe if I were to have loosened all bolts on both sides at one time.  I only loosened one side at a time, installed the lift, and then tightened the bolts back up.  Might be possible to loosen both sides and slide one side over to square it up?  Will check  this out, stay tuned.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:46pm
Jato,

Thanks for the reply.  I cannot speak for the prior owner, but I have always leveled side to side with the tires, then front to back with the tongue jack then bring down the stabilizers.  I have also noticed that it is typically worst when we have been traveling and while messing around with it today, noticed that it is almost nonexistent with the nose pointed up about 1*, but that could just be luck.  I will try lowering the tongue tomorrow and seeing if there is a change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>