R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does my GFI keep jumping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does my GFI keep jumping
    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:58am
Can anyone help. All power inside RPod 202 work except for plugs. My GFI keeps jumping. Any solutions?
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:46pm
From the limited information you have shared, do you have anything plugged in (such as an appliance) that has shorted out? Is one of the outlets faulty and is grounding itself out (possibly the wires touching) resulting in the gfi popping?

Some troubleshooting and sharing here would be of assistance. Unplug everything you can in the trailer. Reset the gfi. Does it pop back out immediately or is it okay until you plug something in? This can help to narrow down what your electrical problem might be.

It could be something you have plugged in that is shorted, it could be one of your receptacles is shorted out or it could be the gfi itself is faulty.

Also, did this just start and you have been using the electrical system with no problems or is this the first time you have tried to use the trailer? Knowing this can assist with the troubleshooting process.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:20pm
These are good suggestions. Before you start them, first unplug the rpod from shore power. Then unplug everything inside. That way, when you first plug the pod back into shore power, you have tested the first part of the power system(converter) if the gfi doesn.t pop off.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:34pm
FWIW, if the above doesn't work, change the GFI. When mine popped and wouldn't reset, the technician said that cheap ones are being used and failures are not uncommon. I changed mine out. When it didn't work, my neighborhood electrician said I wired the new one in wrong. He reset the inverter and wired the GFI correctly. Have not had a problem since.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Sfoget View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:50am
Thank you very much for this information.  We did not have any problems when we first used the RPod.  The problem started after a storm. We have nothing plug in. Other than the plugs, everything else works.  Thinking of changing the GFI. 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:26am
If you have removed all the electrical loads and the gfi is still popping, it is a good chance it is gfi itself.

Now we have a bit more info, were you using a surge guard while plugged in? We have a smart surge guard. There are even better EMS devices available to protect against not only power surges/low power situations. A good one also can protect against incorrect wiring issues wherever you plug in
Ours uses lights on it to indicate if power is good, or if any issues are present. Also can use my phone via Bluetooth to check on it while TT is plugged in...at home or at campgrounds.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:52am
If the problem started after a storm then moisture likely got into a receptacle and is causing a ground fault which is tripping your gfci. That is what the gfci us supposed to do. This has been reported before on the forum. The most likely culprit is the outside receptacle but humidity could get into an interior receptacle as well. You could take the cover plates off and inspect and dry out the electrical boxes
with a blow dryer (operating on an extension cord) on at a time. Or just wait for things to dry out on their own but I. That case expect it to happen again next time it rains.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:18am
So sfoget... any word on what the root cause of the problem you are/were experiencing? It may help the rpod community in the future to assist someone else experiencing the same issues.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply