Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar for outlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar for outlets
    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 8:31pm
"Solar ready" is the same as when you look at a house for sale and the ad states that "a basement bathroom has been roughed in". Or, if you wish..."central vacuum system has been roughed in". Somewhere along the line someone has to pay for the additional hardware required to make the system work.

It is important to remember that even with a small solar system, you will not be able to use heavy electrical equipment like the a/c or the microwave. For that a generator would be required.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Beth81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
But I was hopeful they would have one solar powered elect outlet by the bed.  Wishful think, I suppose
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:11am
Here's some additional information about what solar can and cannot do.

https://camperreport.com/rv-solar-power/
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:30am
Why do you need 120vac? Solar is dc so will connect to your 12v battery system via a charge controller.

You wont be able to run the micro, a coffee pot, hair dryer, or the a/c from an inverter, those take too much energy to operate. And all your lights, fan, furnace, water pump, , stereo, fridge are on 12vdc already.

So if the only thing you want to run from 120 vac is the cpap then get a cpap that can run on 12v. Install a 12v power port near the bed area and call it good. More efficient, cheaper, and easier than putting in an inverter and a new receptacle from it (you can't use the existing receptacles both from an inverter and from the grid without having a transfer switch) to select between them.

Get a power port that has a usb outlet and a voltmeter built in and you can charge your electronics from 12v and keep track of your battery charge level too. That leaves the TV, I suggest getting a dual voltage TV as well so you can run it on 12v too. They're not expensive.

As for solar and battery sizing, if you are going to be off shore power for more than overnight get dual 6v golf cart batteries, case size GC2. Start with a portable 100watt of so solar kit and see how that goes. You can always add more solar in future.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:20am
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102179

Actual data.

Sizing a solar system is a little more than just plugging in a panel or 2.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Colt

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102179

Actual data.

Sizing a solar system is a little more than just plugging in a panel or 2.

That data supports getting a 12v powered cpap, the bestek inverter efficiency was only about 60%.

As for sizing photovoltaic systems, I've been doing that for 40 years now. There are two parts of course, batteries and PV modules. Dual GC2's provide the highest capacity practical on an rpod short of going to a Li battery system. A Li conversion is too complex for the OP to consider at this point, as well as very expensive.

That leaves the PV array itself. Portable is easiest to start with and allows for setting up the trailer in the shade. 100 to 120 watts will provide 25 to 35 amphours per sunny day. That is consistent with the higher loads stated for the cpap in the link (with the humidifier operating), and well above the requirements for the cpap pump itself.

Of course there are other loads too, and the OP does not yet have a good idea what those will be. So, I would start with one solar module and a 20A controller what will handle 2 modules, and add a second one if needed.

All that being said, we are all still limited by battery capacity from boon docking indefinitely on solar. If you want a highly reliable PV system you will need something in the range of 5 to 10 days battery autonomy. That is more than we can carry unless using Li batteries, and very expensive to do with Li. Unless you have many days if battery autonomy the PV array sizing is very inexact because of solar resource variation. That variation only averages out over longer time intervals. There are sophisticated statistical design tools for stand alone solar systems that predict loss of load probability based on available weather data for the location, array shading and orientation, and a well defined load. None if that is appropriate for a travel trailer moving from place to place, with varying loads, and a small battery.

So, if you have critically needed loads and want to boondock for more than a couple of days there needs to be a backup fossil fuel power source for cloudy periods, in effect making our power systems hybrids. That can either be a small generator or the tow vehicle alternator. I carry a Honda 2k gen for that purpose, which also allows use of the microwave and a/c (with an easy start).

With a generator on hand the solar array becomes optional and it's sizing rather arbitrary. The objective is to limit generator use. Personally, as I live in the cloudy East and mostly camp in forests anyway, I don't carry solar. It would be dead weight much of the time I find about an hour of runtime daily from the generator is sufficient. I do this around dinner time when we generally want to use the microwave.

If it's a hot afternoon I will get the battery recharged then while running the a/c. With the 2k I run the WFCO charger first until the charge current drops to a level where the genny can support both it and the a/c. That is usually only a few minutes.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Beth81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:14am
Wow. That’s a lot of info .  I will simplify when occasionally off grid with a small lithium battery that I will just carry into the camper ( I might eventually try to run a line in somewhere so I can keep the battery outside)  and hook to our 500 watt inverter, and plug my Cpap into that.   That’s what we did when we camped off grid for 3 days in a tent.  That worked fine.  We were in a very shaded area, so our biggest concern was keeping the solar panels in the sun throughout the day. Thank you for all the suggestions responding to my question. This R-Pod forum has been very useful, and everyone is so kind about offering helpful information 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:43am
Still, consider running the CPAP directly off DC instead of running through an inverter. That is the best option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:03am
These vacuums will run happily on an 800 watt generator and not cause it to labor.  They could readily be run from an inverter for short periods.  Both cost less than $40.  Both will fit between the slide and the wall and be totally out of the way.  Neither one weighs more then 2 or 3 pounds.

This one does a really nice job and the brush helps with hair/fur.  Had I known about it I would not have bought the Bissell. 

This one pulls 240 watts and does a rather decent job.  I was quite surprised. 

John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
Beth, you don't need to keep your Li battery outside. It doesn't produce hydrogen gas like lead acid batteries do. It's ok to install it somewhere in the trailer, in fact it's better to do so if you ever camp in below freezing conditions. Li batteries dont like being charged when cold.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>