Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar for outlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar for outlets
    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 11:51am
We have a 2017 RPod that we just purchased used. We are wanting to hook up some solar panels to use when elect is not available. Before getting the solar panels, we find that the battery provides power to use the slide out and the lights, but none of the outlets work. Having power from the outlets while using the battery is important, as we need that to run a c-pap at night. Any help with this matter is much appreciated
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 12:06pm
You will need either a pure sine inverter (12v to 120v) to run the c-pap when off-shore power (no hook-ups) or you will need to buy a 12v powered c-pap, called a travel c-pap. 

A portable travel c-pap will probably need recharging after each overnight use...however some units have multiple battery and charging options. 

Here is one place to begin your search:

If you decide to keep using your existing c-pap and install an inverter in the r-pod, do not cheap out on a modified sine wave inverter for $50. You will need a good high quality inverter, it will be powering medical equipment after all. Depending on your particular c-pap, normally they can be powered by a good 300-500 watt pure sine wave (PSW) inverter. Expect to pay around $150-$300 for a decent one. 

If you post the label ratings (volts, plus either watts or amps) we should be able to narrow it down. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:24pm
I think you are going in the right direction in order to support your cpap machine when you are off the grid, and as always the devil is in the details. I would think your pod is prewired for solar, so you can utilze that for plugging your solar panels in. You would need to install (or have installed) a pure sine wave inverter as podwerkz stated, that is tied into your pod electrical system. Your outlets would then be provided with 120 volt electricity (limited by the size of your inverter and battery(s) you have installed in your pod.

For travel and going to our off the grid camp, I have a special lithium battery pack that lasts me 2 nights at a setting of 4-8 air pressure and no water or hose heater turned on (it is a resmed 24 volt cpap) to moisten the air...they use too much electricity.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:34pm
I should add, that if you are thinking of integrating solar panels and pure sine wave inverter into your rpod, that to do it properly a charge controller suited to the type of batteries you have should also be installed. And I would imagine 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries or 2 6 volt golf cart batteries would be needed.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
Beth81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

You will need either a pure sine inverter (12v to 120v) to run the c-pap when off-shore power (no hook-ups) or you will need to buy a 12v powered c-pap, called a travel c-pap. 
A portable travel c-pap will probably need recharging after each overnight use...however some units have multiple battery and charging options. 
Here is one place to begin your search:
If you decide to keep using your existing c-pap and install an inverter in the r-pod, do not cheap out on a modified sine wave inverter for $50. You will need a good high quality inverter, it will be powering medical equipment after all. Depending on your particular c-pap, normally they can be powered by a good 300-500 watt pure sine wave (PSW) inverter. Expect to pay around $150-$300 for a decent one. 
If you post the label ratings (volts, plus either watts or amps) we should be able to narrow it down. 

Beth81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
Thank you so much for the info. I will have to do some more studying. I just assumed that if the lights fed off the battery that the outlets, or at least one outlet, would also feed off the battery.   I thought that being wired for solar would include an installed inverted that would feed an outlet.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:50pm
That is a common misconception...wired for solar usually means it has the wiring installed. The rest of the important bits are still needed to make it work. The rp192 we ordered and are waiting for already comes with a 100 watt solar panel mounted on the roof and a 1000 watt inverter integrated into the trailer electrical system from the factory. This will be to support my cpap machine as well.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:30pm
A lot depends on what CPAP machine you have. I have a DreamStation. It runs on 12V. I run it in the RPod from a 12V power outlet I installed in our 2016 RP179. I don't need to use the 110V power adapter. I just use a 12V cord ordered off Amazon. I actually have a spare because I did not know that the cord for my prior machine would have worked just fine.

Some machines are 24V. You could get a DC to DC converter and skip the inverter altogether. I would recommend investigating what DC options are available for your machine.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Beth81

I just assumed that if the lights fed off the battery that the outlets, or at least one outlet, would also feed off the battery.   I thought that being wired for solar would include an installed inverted that would feed an outlet.

Nope. Gotta add your own. Many newer RVs, especially more expensive ones, do come with pre-installed solar panels, solar controllers, a couple of decent sized batteries, and a nice inverter.

But you bought an r-pod and they tend to be kinda basic. I do know that some of the newer, bigger r-pods now come with a central vacuum....what's up with that? Who buys a small camp trailer and decides that they just gotta have a central vacuum system?

Ying Yang

But I digress. 

Let us know what you decide.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Beth81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:59pm
For sure I’m not going to be vacuuming my camper. It it does seem that they would put all necessary solar in so one could just plug up some external solar panels.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>