Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro - Event Date: 22 Apr 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Intro
    Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:06pm
Good Morning People.  A relative newby here.   I have a 2019 RPOD, rear kitchen, that I have used relatively few hours or days since purchase.  I have fixed, or have had fixed small teething issues and this last December of 2020, I had a Go-Power 3800 solar kit installed.  I use the unit as a base camp for hunting on the Olympic peninsula of Washington state (I reside in Port Angeles, Wa).

Several issues I have encountered, and the resolutions used are:
1. The locks on the support poles for the Thule awning would not hold.  Solved- I was being to cautious about applying pressure to lock in place.  Dealer explained, Now they work as planned.  My bad.
2. When cooking in the kitchen the fire alarm would always go off even if the windows/door were open.  Using bathroom exhaust fan helped but in a cold environment it was not ideal.    Had a 120v exhaust fan with ducted door installed in short wall between door and rear of rv, about 16" above counter top.  Works great and reduces heat loss in cold climate.  Don't know why Forrest River did not plan on something similar.
3. sink size is ridiculous.  I have had a number of small trailers, a class A, a mini rv, and several truck camping setups, each with their own pros and cons, but the size of this sink is stupid.  Not resolved, but it will be, by process, procedure or sink replacement. 
4. About the solar kit.  I think everything works as it is supposed to but here are my questions.  Are 6v in series vs 12 in parallel batteries better?   
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 3:16pm
If you are buying new batteries and are planning on boondocking then 2 series 6V batteries is better. This is a standard golf cart deep cycle battery size (case size is GC2) so they are readily available at a good price point.

Series is also better because that way the batteries always get the same charge and discharge current. In parallel one will always be cycling more than the other as the internal resistance is never identical.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
kclank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 4:54pm
Thanks for the input
Still doing, and not dead!
 Post Reply Post Reply