R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFiberglass on back warping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass on back warping
    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:48pm
I have gotten my 2018 R-pod 179 out of winter storage and began the inspections and de-winterization process. One thing I notice is that the fiberglass under the back window down to the bumper flexes in a bit when pressed and feels detached from the inner wall. I removed the license plate holder and saw that the fiberglass has a thin backing of plywood and could see than the inner wall had foam with thin plywood attached on each side. It doesn't seem like the plywood backing has delaminated but has warped and is no longer flush with the inner wall. It doesn't seem like good construction not to glue the plywood backing on the fiberglass and insulation together but I'm also not sure this is normal and whether it's a problem? So far it hasn't done this anywhere else on the R-pod. Is this normal?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 6:31am
Sounds like you may have gotten some water damage in the plywood.

Take a look at the construction video so you know what you have in there.

construction
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm
I don't see any signs of water damage but it looks like the assemblers forgot or don't glue the thin plywood backed fiberglass to the inner wall including the foam insulation sandwiched with thin plywood on both sides that is at the bottom section above the bumper where it is flexing. The plywood on the fiberglass probably warped due to some moisture but it doesn't feel wet. It is stored outside and this is the first time I've put a cover over it in the winter and that might have caused the moisture to be trapped and caused the warping?
Thanks for the video link! Looking at the video at 3:50 you can see the lower insulated panel above the bumper that uses a plywood backed foam insulated panel and at 4:30 you can see the back wall as they were applying the fiberglass but you can't tell how it was attached to the inner wall? Right now it seems the only thing holding the fiberglass to the wall is the metal moldings on the edges that might but the edges might also be glued?
Not sure it's a problem right now but I could see if I continue to use a cover during the winter it might become one? I am going to try calling someone at the factory that knows if the fiberglass was supposed to be glued to the inner wall and will post what I find out.

Thanks for your help!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 3:26pm
Don't know if it's glued there or not but from the way they toss the fiberglass roof sheet on there I think it's probably only attached around the edges and the window opening.

Fiberglass doesn't absorb water. Wood does of course. If you can access the wood you might want to get a moisture meter and probe it to see how much water is there. The meters are cheap and handy. Once it's fully dried out I'd suggest resealing the window.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:44am
I sent a video to the R-pod factory people and they say it is "normal" and apparently they don't glue the fiberglass to the inner frame it's only secured on the edges. Not sure why they don't as I would think it would be a good idea as who likes to see the fiberglass warping and bowing out!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:26pm
Looking at the video the way they assemble it I don't think it's possible for them to get access to glue the roof on except around the edges.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hubcappizza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:06am
my 2015 179 is the same way  apparently this is how it is 
2015 FR R-Pod M-179 - 2016 Taco DC
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:02am
The roof is not secured or glued in the middle or to the cross joists in any way. It is slid in place, secured by the a/c, skylights/vents, tank vents, and window(s) in the field, and the edges are secured by the trim.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:28pm
I can confirm that when I cut a window into the back of my pod up in the curve there were 2x2s going across and there was a bead of glue on one of those but it was not touching the fiberglass. I added glue to the two I had access to before I put the window in.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply