R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSecurity Driving Cameras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Driving Cameras
    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:47pm

Hello Everyone,

I installed a 12 volt security / driving camera system.  I did a lot of research, but there wasn't much reliable sources with decent feedback.  Most of these camera systems are very pricy, so you really need to hope what you're getting is what is advertised.  

For my price range I ended up going with Xroose WX4 Wireless Backup Camera with 9” Monitor Kit.  This kit came with 4 HD cameras, a monitor/DVR processor, and all the hardware needed to do the installation.  I bought the kit on  eBay for $405, shipping included.

One thing to note is that even though this was advertised as a 1080P system, The image quality of the monitor and even the recordings is 720P at best.  The cameras may very well be 1080P but the processor isn't.  But in a way, this is important in a wireless system.  Since this is intended as live feed driving, the system has to process the images with as little delay as possible.  The higher the resolution, the longer the for the image to be displayed.  As it is, there is about a one second delay before the image is displayed.  For a live system this is a very long time.  But this is the trade-off for not having to run wires all the way to the front of your car.  The other benefit of wireless is that I can easily move the monitor from my vehicle mount to the mount in the R-Pod. I'm happy with it, since I'm not as much interested in the live feed as I am of the continuous recording security feature.

Keep in mind that even though it is a wireless system, each camera still needs to be connected to a continuous 12V supply.  This t part of the installation does take some wiring and all the wires are included in the kit.  The front camera can act as a backup camera to line up your vehicle for hitching up.  The unit was advertised with a vivid color picture as the night image, but night vision images are very grainy B&W, and pretty much suck.  It's expected from system that costs under $500.

Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply