Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEasy Start on A/C RPod 196 - Event Date: 17 Apr 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Easy Start on A/C RPod 196
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
I have a 2021 R-Pod 196 with a Coleman Mach 3+ A/C, model 48253-669.  Has anyone had experience operating this a/c using a Honda 2200 Generator after installing an EASY START kit on the a/c.     
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:34pm
I don't have the same pod or A/C unit.  I have the dometic 13.500btu unit that was available in 2015.  I installed an Easy Start and use a Honda 2200 that has been converted to propane.  It works well at normal(below 5000') but I have not tried it at elevation yet. I know the propane has about 20% less power than gasoline , but I didn't  have a good way to carry and deal with gas cans in our enclosed tow vehicle.
The Easy Start install was easy-several videos available and the enclosed directions were perfect, including pictures.
I am happy with Easy Start and Honda 2200.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:39am
It should be ok. Looks like the Coleman Mach 3 is a 13.5k btu/h a/c so should be a similar load to the Dometic 13.5.

But do call Microair and ask them. They are very helpful.

Vann, while the heat of combustion of a gallon of propane is 28% less than a gallon of gasoline, the heat of combustion is actually higher per lb. Diesel has higher heat content per gallon than gasoline but that doesn't mean the diesel versions of an engine have higher power than the gas versions.

The optimum air to fuel ratio for propane is about 24 to 1 so the cylinder is pulling in mostly air, and the power output relative to gasoline will depend on how fast propane is fed into the engine relative to gasoline. So there could be a negligible difference in power.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:02pm
Thanks for that extra bit of info re propane vs gas power, OG. I've been waffling between changing over my Honda generators, now feel a little less conflicted.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:56am
I found my Honda 2k to be only slightly less powerful on propane. That generator has to be pretty much at it's full continuous rating (1600VA) to run the a/c. If it was losing even 10% it wouldn't be able to run it.

I use the Century Fuels kit which has an adjustable demand regulator, and I do need to readjust it at higher altitudes.

YMMV depending on which propane conversion kit you get. If you're concerned about losing power it would be a good idea to check into people's results with the kit you're considering.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Old Man Running View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:31pm
Thanks to both "Pod People" and "Offgrid" for your timely reply.  I successfully used this generator (Honda EU2200i) on a Dometic 13.5K btu/h a/c, with a different RV,  but replace that RV with a 2021 R-Pod 196, which is equipped with the Coleman Mach-3+ a/c.  Although the generator will operate other appliances such as the microwave it will not operate the a/c, even in the fan mode.  It seems like the a/c system has a front-end device that will prevent the a/c from operating in any mode (fan or a/c) unless connected to a full 20-amp service.  Could this be possible, and if yes, is there a work around?  Your help would be most appreciated.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
I don't know about the electrical system on your pod. That may be a question for Forest River. personally, I have never heard of such a limiting device, but I am not the best electrical source.
I would suggest that you call Micro Easy Aire and talk with them.  give them a specific model number of AC and they will most likely be able to help.  They were very helpful when I called them prior to my installation.
As I understand it, the Easy Start will change the sequence of start up so the fan comes on first and has time to rev up to full speed.  then the compressor comes on and it takes less voltage to get it going to full capacity. I am not an expert-but I know firsthand that it works on our Dometic 13.5btu AC with the Honda 2200.
I hope you can get this worked out and be able to enjoy your pod
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Pod People

As I understand it, the Easy Start will change the sequence of start up so the fan comes on first and has time to rev up to full speed.  then the compressor comes on and it takes less voltage to get it going to full capacity. 

This is the way mine operates from the factory...I have the electronic Dometic thermostat...maybe they built in that version of a 'step start'...at any rate my 3500 watt genset (either one of them) starts my roof unit easily.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:39am
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:54am
There isn't a way for the a/c to know in advance what capacity a power source is.

A 2.2kw generator isn't adequate to reliably start a 13.5kbtu/h a/c, without a soft starter. Just because you can start one a/c one day doesn't mean it will start a different one (or even the same one) on another day.

First, are you sure the a/c runs correctly on grid power? There are reports on line of the squirrel cage blower shafts freezing up due to corrosion.

Second, what are the exact sequence of symptoms you're seeing when you try to start the a/c on the generator?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>