R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlue Ox wdh. Long shot question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Ox wdh. Long shot question
    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 12:50pm
I am going to preface this with:- I know all trailers are different, tongue weight etc. 12% rule, weight the trailer and all the other good stuff.
This question is for anyone who has the same set up. Blue Ox with the 0550 bars. 19 F150 Crew, V8, factory tow package. 2021 180 only a few 100 lbs in the camper and 1 battery, 1 propane tank on the tongue. If possible I would like to know how many links and the bolt position for the ball. Just need a ballpark as I do not want to mess around at the dealer longer than necessary. I know that my situation will be different than yours but if I have a good starting point I hope that I can get out quick.
Thanks to all the F150 owners.
S y D
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Hello deanj. I don't have your blue ox hitch, but did find the attachment directions on the blue ox site. I would think you have this info already, but just in case, here you go.

https://www.blueox.com/how-to-install-sway-pro/

It gives you all the measurements, directions, and torques for the various pieces and attaching hardware.

By following the step by step instructions it should get you where you need to be as quickly as possible. Your biggest challenge will be to have all the correct tools, sockets and large enough torque wrench for the job.

In step 9 it says to start with the 9th link, and the note afterwards says adjustments can be made to allow for different set ups.

Now, it does say that the ball height should be 1" above the trailer receiver height, once the trailer is leveled (you have an F150, not a Ram, which is 2"). So, this possibly can be measured and set up ahead of time. You would need to find the hitch height for an rpod 180 of the same year and model...standard or HRE?

I don't know how far you are towing the 180 to get it home. My plan for getting our trailer home from 1.5 hrs away includes using an adjustable hitch I already have.    Once at home I can go through the process of installing my Andersen WDH at my leisure...no rushing or feeling pressure to get it done. I will also have access to all my tools, just in case.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:24pm
+1. With an empty 180 and an F150 a wdh is a nice to have, not a requirement. Many don't use them at all on a rig like yours. You can just hitch up and drive it home, then take your time to get things set up the way you want them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
deanj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm
Thanks for the replies. The instructions are ok but I have a 20 + hour drive. Just trying to get a ball park so I can get out of the dealer ASAP. Have a site booked on the way home so I can do required adjustments. If you have ever driven I40 you know why I have a WDH +
S y D
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:02pm
Okay, how about this? Can you contact the seller and ask if they could level the trailer and take a measurement to the top of the hitch receiver for you?    They are selling it to you so I would hope it wouldn't be a problem. Especially if you give the explanation that you need to make sure you have your hitch set up properly.

Once you have that, you can measure the distance to the top of your truck receiver...you would be able to know where your hitch height is and where the ball height to set up as per the blue ox instructions... at least initially which is what you are shooting for. Hope this helps!
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply