FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedApril 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse
    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:22pm
Just a heads up for all you Podders...

In the "It's never too early to secure your spot for an eclipse" department, I did a search and found that the Fredericksburg, Texas KOA is taking reservations for the 2024 eclipse!  Not online...too far out.  Call and they will send a form that you can fill out, and then they'll contact you for the requisite $250 non-refundable deposit.  We'll be there in our 195 (assuming I don't fall off a bridge in Idaho in the meantime).

They currently have 80 spots, with about 70 already spoken for (but see below).

Here's their website regarding the eclipse event:  

https://koa.com/campgrounds/fredericksburg/events/total-solar-eclipse_6cfd9546-d594-48c2-9d85-6a82b1543f27/

The individual I spoke to mentioned that the owners will be terminating their relationship with KOA before then and will go private, and will be adding up to 80 more spots, so I imagine that they will be taking more than 10 more reservations, but I'm not sure about that.

Eclipse map (blue line is center of totality):

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:38pm
I'm trying to figure out where on the path I want to travel to in order to experience the eclipse. I didn't have to travel to see the last one.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by RoverPod

I'm trying to figure out where on the path I want to travel to in order to experience the eclipse. I didn't have to travel to see the last one.

This site has a wealth of details about viewing locations, historical cloud cover, etc.

https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/

The Texas Hill Country has a plethora of places to see and things to do, and April is a great time to visit the area.  So even if the eclipse is obscured by clouds (perish the thought) you can still have a great trip and a worthwhile time.  Also, on the way back you can stop off in Cajun country...crawfish season will be in full bloom.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

This site has a wealth of details about viewing locations, historical cloud cover, etc.

https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/

The Texas Hill Country has a plethora of places to see and things to do, and April is a great time to visit the area.  So even if the eclipse is obscured by clouds (perish the thought) you can still have a great trip and a worthwhile time.  Also, on the way back you can stop off in Cajun country...crawfish season will be in full bloom.
Awesome! Thanks.

I live in Virginia, so I was thinking about maybe finding somewhere in Upstate New York or maybe Vermont.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:44am

I live in Virginia, so I was thinking about maybe finding somewhere in Upstate New York or maybe Vermont.

I grew up in upstate NY.  Typically a heck of a lot cloudier (and colder) than the TX hill country (of course now I've jinxed myself as far as clouds in TX vs NY go on 4-8-2024).

That eclipseophile site that I referenced above goes in to detail about historical cloud cover...worth a look.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

I grew up in upstate NY.  Typically a heck of a lot cloudier (and colder) than the TX hill country (of course now I've jinxed myself as far as clouds in TX vs NY go on 4-8-2024).

That eclipseophile site that I referenced above goes in to detail about historical cloud cover...worth a look.
Yeah, I read through all of that. Rethinking my plans for sure. I'm not sure I want to go all the way to Texas, but definitely checking out the options. Thanks!
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:05am
Yeah here in Texas we have a partial (annular) eclipse in 2023, and a total eclipse in 2024...

In 2017, I flew my Learjet up to Nova Scotia for the total eclipse of the sun...no wait...I drove my RV to Wyoming for the total eclipse of the sun.....Carly...get outta my head.

Confused

It is cool...and I mean VERY cool, to be in the path of totality when it happens. I plan to be there!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply