R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedActual weights for our 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actual weights for our 179
    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:07am

We just returned from a 3 week trip with our 179.  Prior to leaving, we went to our local county landfill and weighed our rig.  We tow with a Ford Expedition EL and use an Equalizer 4 point wdh.

Here are the weights we recorded:

First pass-Ford towing Pod, driver and passenger, ½ tank gas (Ford), full propane tank, 8 gal water,

wdh installed but not connected, canoe on Ford, 2 bikes/bike rack on rear of Pod

Ford front axle                                                            2,760

Ford both axles (includes tongue weight)             7,700

Combined weight-Ford  & Pod                                11,140

Pod axle weight                                                          3,440

Second pass-Ford only,

Ford front axle                                                            3,190

Both axles                                                                    7,010

Pod Tongue weight (7700-7010)                             690 (1 propane tank, spare tire, 2 6v batteries)

Pod Total weight (3440+690)                                   4,130

Tongue weight % (690/4130)                                   16.7%

Observations:

It appears that there is not enough weight being transferred to the Ford’s front axle by the wdh.  Hitching the Pod removed 430# off the front axle weight. Needs further adjustment.

Tongue weight is heavy (690#) and a high % of the total Pod weight.

Goodyear Endurance 215/75/14 tires inflated to 65psi have a rating of 2200#

Questions:

Can I safely assume that the Pod’s 3440# axle weight is ok with a 3500# axle as the 690# tongue weight is always supported by either the tow vehicle when moving or the front jack when parked and disconnected?

Is 16.7% tongue weight too much? I know it is a heavy tongue weight, but both the Ford’s max tongue weight capacity and the Equalizer tongue weight capacity are well beyond 690#.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:03am
PP, I went through your numbers which were great to help understand the dynamics of your set up. The problem you may run into is that if you tighten the tension on your Equalizer, it should add weight to the front axle of the TV but it will also push some weight to the Pod's axle - the tongue weight should come down and that weight will be redistributed to the front of the TV and back of the Pod. As you know, you are already close on weight on the Pods axles. 

My thought is to indeed tighten the tension on the WDH and redistribute weight fore and aft, thus lowering tongue weight, but move to a Jack-it bike carrier on the tongue (adding weight back to the tongue), or even better, a front TV hitch mount for the bikes if your TV can accomodate. Depending on the weight of the bikes and rear hitch for the bikes, it may lower the Pod's axle weight enough to be comfortable while moving weight to the TVs front axels. Hope this helps to at least think through an option. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Oi.

The GVWR on our RP179 is 3785 lbs. So if yours is the same, or similar RP179, you are approximately 345 lbs over gross weight. That is if I'm reading correctly that your Rpod weighs 4130 lbs?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Boy that tongue weight does seem high, especially with bikes+rack on the back of the Pod.

Our 195 weighs in at 4180 loaded for camping (no water) and the tongue weight is 420.  No, before you ask we haven't had any sway issues even in intense side winds, probably due to the robust TV.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:13am
Also, being a fellow 179 owner and knowing the layout, I would remove everything from my front storage compartment and weigh it to see what all you have stored up under the front bed area (all in front of the axle which will add to tongue weight). If you have heavy items, like tools and such, consider moving them to the TV. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:01pm
Thanks for the replies-
Pilot Podder-I think the bikes on the rear actually help lower the tongue weight by serving as a counterbalance. I am afraid that adding a tongue mounted bike rack would increase the tongue even when trying to redistribute weight front to back inside the pod.
Glue guy-I think you are correct that the Pod actually weighs 4130, but the axle weight is 3440. so, which is the more important? As I noted originally, the tongue weight is never on the axle, always supported by either the tow vehicle or the front jack. So, is the Pod GVWR really overweight? or is the axle rating the real key?
I have reread the Equalizer manual and will work to refine the setup.   It seems that I can add washers to change the head angle or I can raise the "L" brackets.  I will call Equalizer on Monday and talk with their technical people  and see what they recommend.
Still trying to learn and figure out what is the best way to make this work.
Keep those replies coming!!
Thanks
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
Vann, looks like your pod is over max gross weight. MGW on a 2015 179 is 3785. The total weight and the 690 lb tongue weight seem really high to me. In comparison mine weighs in at 3700 with 500 on the tongue, and that’s with dual GC2 batteries, an 8 inch foam mattress, one full propane cyl, and a full fresh water tank (about 180 lbs more water than you had).   Did you have the identical load incl passengers in the Ford for both runs through the scales? Wdh left in the receiver for the second pass? If you did, what else could be in your pod that’s making it so heavy? Lots of tools and supplies?

Also, to answer your question re which is more important, being under MGW on the trailer or being under 3500 on the axle, the answer is both have to be in spec for you to be legal. And, both the frame and the axle on rpods are, to be very generous, not over engineered, so if your trailer is really that heavy you need to get some weight out of it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply