R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcharging // batteries - Event Date: 08 Mar 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: charging // batteries
    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:20am
  Yes I did not think the little guy (westinghouse 1200i) would have enough  power but was wondering if paralleled with the westinghouse igen 2500 there would be enough power? How does the parallel thing work if you were to combine these two what kind of watts would you end up with? This is very helpful being able to use the forum!! I am very new to all this as you might have guessed.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:38am
Does the manufacturer claim those two generators can parallel with each other? If so then the output under continuous load should be roughly the sum of the two. Probably not the case for startup due to slight differences in response time between the two sizes, but that’s speculation on my part.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:59am
+1
The manufacturer's web site is the best source of information on capability.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:18am
   I see you are a fellow cpap user and nc neighbor . I used to have a poptop camper and would take a large marine battery with me and use an inverter to run the power for the cpap minus the heating part. Used to get about four nights. I am about to head out for a camping trip (South Mountain State Park) w/o hookup and wonder how fast the battery will draw down using the rpod onboard inverter. Also it looks like we are also going to need to use the propane furnace with fan and wondering the same here. Thanks Hunter
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Hunter

I see you are a fellow cpap user and nc neighbor . I used to have a poptop camper and would take a large marine battery with me and use an inverter to run the power for the cpap minus the heating part. Used to get about four nights. I am about to head out for a camping trip (South Mountain State Park) w/o hookup and wonder how fast the battery will draw down using the rpod onboard inverter. Also it looks like we are also going to need to use the propane furnace with fan and wondering the same here. Thanks Hunter
The CPAP machine I have is the Philips Respironics Dream Station. It runs on 12V. When traveling, I use a 12V plug-in and not the 120V power block. I also turn off the humidifier to reduce the power needed. I can run a number of nights.

If you do not have a convenient 12V outlet handy, you could do as I did and install one. The cords are rather pricy. I bought one for the Dream Station, not knowing that the one I had from my previous machine would fit. I'm not sure where I put that spare cord though. I ordered it from Amazon. It isn't cheap, but it saves having to go though the 120V power block and an inverter.

If you are in the Raleigh area, perhaps we can get together and discuss this. We live in Wake Forest, northeast of Raleigh.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 5:41pm

Thanks for your response. Does your cpap have a 110 plug and a 12 volt connection on the back. I have this on the back of my resmed escape 2,and old and heavy dog. I have never tried the dc plug on the back for fear of blowing the thing up. Guess its time to try. I have a small portable lithium battery that has a 10 volt dc outlet. wish me luck. I will send you and email if i am heading your way. With the covid thing my travelling has been very light in the last year. Thanks again for the consult . 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:18pm
If the output of the Lithium battery is 10V, then likely that won't work. If it is 10A, that is a different matter. It has to be 12V. I think you would be satisfied using the 12V power if it has a connection. Mine just has the jack for the cannon plug. Whether that canon plug comes from the 120V power block or the 12V power cord does not matter. It works the same both ways.

I did a search and found this:

You would need to verify, but it looks like it would work for your machine. It turns out that your machine actually uses 24V instead of the 12V mine uses.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:50am
  Wow . Thanks for looking into this! I need to find out what the output of the cigarette lighter connection is on my portable battery but this just might work with it. it is only a 200w unit so I am not sure if it has the power? How much loss is there when you go through the inverter vs directly to 12 v in efficiency? Thank very much. I can always order the unit from amazon and send it back if it does not work. One of the many benefits of Amazon.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:10am
Those little inverters are typically around 75-80% efficiency. But it it’s not a sine wave inverter (most of the cheap ones aren’t) then it will probably reduce the efficiency of the cpap as well. The would overheat it and could damage it long term. If the cpap manufacturer provides a 12V input then you are much better off doing it that way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:45am
+1 on Offgrid's remark. It is always more efficient to go direct rather than through an inverter. Given the age of your machine, you might consult your doctor about ordering a new one. If so, then look into the Dream Station. The DreamWear masks are comfortable as well. I use the Dreamwear model number 1138410 which uses a nasal cushion. I do have to use a chin restraint (ResMed 16015) to keep my mouth shut. I have a high, narrow bridge on my nose, so the full-face masks cause me significant pain from the pressure. The nasal cushion does not have that problem.

If you do get a new one, then see if it can be a 12V model. That will be better for travel.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>