Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod 195 Tow Vehicle Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod 195 Tow Vehicle Suggestions
    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 3:01pm
Hi everyone! I am new here and new to the R-Pod world.  I have just put my deposit on the 195.  I am looking to trade in my small SUV for something larger that can tow my travel trailer but also not be excessive when I am not traveling.  I have been looking at something like the VW Atlas with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs.  The r pod dry weight is about 3,500 lbs.  Do you think this would be sufficient? I am in WV so of course leaving I will be going through some hills. This is my first experience with a pull behind so feeling a little lost.  I was tempted to go for the semi lighter 179 but I enjoy the dry bathroom and need to make sure there is room for my 145 lb mastiff :) Thank you for any input!
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 3:33pm
Too bad this site is down for maintenance:

https://www.vwatlasforum.com/threads/towing-a-trailer.2050/

I have a 195.  No way I would tow it with much less than my RAM.  I want that safety margin.  

Others will surely chime in soon...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:01pm
It would probably work but apparently you can't use a weight distributing hitch with an Atlas, so that's a minus.  The dry weight of 3500 lbs doesn't include propane, battery, it may not include the air conditioner and probably a few other things that might surprise you.  Certainly it doesn't include fresh or waste water, your food, clothes, gear, etc.  If you haven't bought the Atlas yet, it would be really good to look around for something with a higher towing capacity.  To an extent, the more room you have between the weight of your trailer and the towing capacity of your vehicle, the greater the margin of safety and peace of mind while driving.  Both are worth a lot.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:15pm
Always a forum discussion topic.  I was just commenting to another member on a different forum - same subject.  For a 195 - I would look for a tow vehicle in the 7000 lb range.  The camper will get heavier fast with camping stuff, batteries and propane, etc. The camper is going to weigh around 5K with a tongue weight of 400 plus.  That's a mild guess.  I buy tow vehicles for worst case scenario, the tow.  I could buy a smart car to drive around.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:23pm
+1 With Tars and Mike a lot to be said for piece of mind.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:32pm
+1 to mcarter. Look for something bigger than what you’re thinking. 5000 lb tow rating is insufficient for a 195. I have a 5000 lb tow rated Highlander and a 179 and that’s the most I’d tow with it.

I live right down the road in SWVA and our “hills” can be pretty steep and big. Our Western forum members will probably disagree but having experienced both I’ll put crossing the 10 plus Appalachian ridges up against the Sierras any day, Plus, there are so many great places to boon dock/dry camp in our area. You will I think really want to be able to carry water, dual batteries, maybe a generator, and not have to worry about every pound. You will want a solid tow vehicle for all that weight. Sounds like you like SUVs so you might want to look at Durangos/Tahoes/Sequoias/Armadas, all of which properly equipped and should be able to handle the 195 and your gear.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
WVCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:36pm
Thank you! This is really helpful. I am using a friends truck to bring it home so I can have some time to car shop.  I have looked into the Armadas a bit and that might be the way to go. Any other tips are welcome!
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:23am
+2 to the above advice.  For 8 of the 10 years of owning and towing our 177 all over this country with an emphasis of travel in the Rocky Mountains we have used either an '08 or '13 Explorer with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.  Our 177 fully loaded with 2 batteries, 2 propane tanks and full FW tank and supplies weighs in at 2900 lbs.  We do not have A/C, microwave/convection oven or entertainment system so that helps in the weight dept.  That being said, you have a total different animal hauling a 195.  Gone are the days of SAFELY hauling an r-pod with a small SUV like an Explorer unless you purchase a 171 or any of the other discontinued models that are no longer built like the 151, 152, 172, 173, 175, 177, 178 models.  

As mcarter wisely states, look for something in the 7000 + range.  Unless you are minimalist when you camp you will be amazed at how much weight you are carrying with you once you load up and go.  Good idea will be to get your 195 weighed in once you load it up with water, batteries, propane, bakeware, food, ect to get an actual number of what you are working with.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:56am
Site back up:

https://www.vwatlasforum.com/threads/towing-a-trailer.2050/
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
WVCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:05am
Thanks! I guess the more I am reading I am wondering if the 195 is more than I need. It is going to be just me and my dog traveling. I originally wanted more space because we will be on the road for a number of weeks, I will be working from there, and my dog is 130 lbs and needs room haha I have looked at the 179 and it is lighter and still has what I like.  Any suggestions or experience between these models?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>