Topic ClosedR Pod 195 Tow Vehicle Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod 195 Tow Vehicle Suggestions
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:51am
The r-Pod 192 and our Sonoma have essentially the same layout, except that we didn't want an uncomfortable folding couch bed.  It's easy to fasten a cutting board to the side of the galley cabinet that folds up and down for additional counter space.  With the cutting board in the up position, there is counter space equal to the 179 and the larger fridge comes in handy.  But all that being said, the 192 and Sonoma weighing in about the same, need a TV with a towing capacity above 5000 lbs.  So, if you want to stick to a TV with a 5000 lbs. tow limit, best to stay with a 179 or equivalent in weight.

We turned our dinette into a couch by making some extra cushions and have found that we rarely ever set up the table any more.  A "tv tray" and the folding counter extension are fine for breakfast and we usually end up eating outside for dinner and supper.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:10pm
+1
I find the 179's kitchen to be the best feature. That is what sold us on it. We use the kitchen quite a bit, although I will set up and grill outside. While I have used the microwave when we are at a site with power, we have done a lot of boondocking with no shore power and no desire to fire up a generator. I also would hate to give up storage for the outside kitchen that would take away quite a bit of the already sparse underneath storage.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 7:52pm

Guess it depends on the kind of camping you do, if you have water and electric hookups and mostly cook outside or use the microwave a dry bath might be more important to you than the kitchen. If you boondock and take 2 minute showers to save water then you’re not spending time in the bathroom anyway. We almost always use the stove because I have to fire up the generator to run the microwave, so a cover for the stove wouldn’t help in our case. The weather, daylight, and bugs all have to cooperate before we’ll cook outside so that’s left for the occasional afternoon bbq, most of the time we’re cooking inside. I wouldn’t want to trade storage space and weight to have a second outside kitchen. The 179 counter space lets us set out ingredients, a dish drainer, and a 2.5 gal water dispenser, and leave things out until we relocate.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:19pm
The 190 has an optional outdoor kitchen, which is an improvement over the 178.  Cooking for us in a 178 has never been an issue, we have both propane and electric cooking appliances, plus the grill.  I built a cover for my propane stove to add counter space.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
My wife uses the micro wave for just about everything so in our 189 we put a towel over the burner glass and use that area for food prep and dish drying.  We also have a 2 burner Coleman for cooking outside which helps when cooking the more odiferous food. We have been using campgrounds so we use their showers and our shower stall has become our food pantry.  I got an expansion bar that fits across the shower we use to hang clothes.  If we ever needed to use the shower we'd have to move everything.  We haven't boondocked yet so it works for us.
WVCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 12:43pm
I totally agree. I had to weigh a larger kitchen with the dry bath and the dry bath won in my case.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 12:41pm
The problem with the 189/190 models is the tiny kitchen counter space. Can’t cook without stuff on the table, no good pantry area, and can’t leave dishes out to dry. IMHO.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:56am
Originally posted by WVCamper

Luckily my dog sleeps through everything except a bag of chips opening!

I think I am going to look at smaller models instead of the 195. I would feel safer with a lighter trailer since this is my first.  I really like the 189 and 190 models as well, just can't seem to find them right now! 

Here's a 190 in Greencastle, PA:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Forest-River-R-Pod-190-5014447392
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
WVCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:10am
Luckily my dog sleeps through everything except a bag of chips opening!

I think I am going to look at smaller models instead of the 195. I would feel safer with a lighter trailer since this is my first.  I really like the 189 and 190 models as well, just can't seem to find them right now! 
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Pod People

...the negative that turns most people off is the wet bath and the side to side bed.  If you are solo, that is not an issue...

What if the giant dog likes to sleep on the outside part of the bed and doesn't take kindly to being disturbed at 2 AM?
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>