R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Attaching a heavy bike rack to RP-195 rear bumper
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Attaching a heavy bike rack to RP-195 rear bumper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote R&M Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching a heavy bike rack to RP-195 rear bumper
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 6:47pm
Hello from coming R-Podders,
We hope to soon bring home our new 2021 RP-195, Hood River Edition.
We have a pair of 60lb E-Bikes. We’ve found that the travel racks that can hold that weight use a 2” hitch receiver. We are thinking of adding a clamp on 2” receiver to the trailer’s rear bumper (after first removing the spare tire to the back of my F250 TV). A couple of questions for the forum:
* will the approx 180lb hanging about 18” behind the bumper harm/bend it?
* what is the outside height/depth of the bumper?

Happy podding,

R & M
2021 R-Pod 195
1999 Ford F250 SD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by R&M Podders

* will the approx 180lb hanging about 18” behind the bumper harm/bend it?

It will probably bend or break and send your bikes under the tractor trailer behind you.  And it will void the Pod warranty.  Put the bikes in the back of the truck.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm
I've picked up bikes attached to bike racks laying loose on OR highways. NOT a good idea. Put'em in the TT or in your rig like Tars said. Look at youtibe videos on this topic.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:44am
+3. If the bumper doesn’t fail the trailer frame could, and either way you will be reducing the tongue weight a lot and risking trailer sway. You have a very nice heavy duty tow vehicle and a light duty trailer. Load up the truck and keep the trailer as light as possible, with as much weight forward as possible.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:45am
I asked my dealer when I bought my 195 about the bumper being able to support bikes. He said the bumper is not strong enough for that. I also have two e-bikes I was thinking of putting on back. So far I don't bring them, but I do bring two lighter non-e bikes on a tongue mount. I have given thought to a front hitch on my truck, but not sure yet. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:59am
I have a 195 and a 60-pound E-bike.  No way I would put that beast on a rack like you describe, OP.

I have one of these:

https://www.pace-edwards.com/Ultragroove

(Tonneau that accepts Thule/Yakima bike racks)
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
Who EVER made a bike rack that weighed or carried 180 lbs?  Are you sure of that weight? 

Forest River recommends putting bikes on the front of the trailer.  I wouldn't put mine on the rear to get bounced to death.  I'd strap mine to something inside. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
R&M Podders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote R&M Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:54pm
Hi All,
I appreciate the replies. To answer a question, 2 x 60lb bikes + rack is going to be around 180lb total.

We were very much hoping for something that would allow us to not have to lift the heavy bikes into the back of the pickup (so one person could do it), which is why we were thinking of a rack behind the trailer. But the several warnings against it, are causing is to plan on having two people for loading/unloading the bikes into the pickup.

We are not keen on putting the bikes inside the trailer - I doubt they would fit without loosening the handlebar stem and tilting the handlebars parallel with the front wheel, which means readjusting the stem each time we take them out. Also not keen on the tire scuffs inside the trailer, and trying to find ways to secure them for travel inside.

Tnx,

R & M
2021 R-Pod 195
1999 Ford F250 SD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:29pm
How about a lightweight aluminum ramp to let the ebikes roll themselves up into the truck bed?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Colt

Who EVER made a bike rack that weighed or carried 180 lbs?  Are you sure of that weight? 
https://hollywoodracks.com/products/sport-rider-fat-tire-electric-bike-hitch-rack?variant=31833680609349

The rack weighs 58 lbs and holds 2 x 80 lb ebikes.  Total 218 lbs.  I have one and would never consider putting it on the back of a Pod!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>