R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeights and Measures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weights and Measures
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:54am
If the 2.0L engine is turbocharged, the power might be just fine. Where you're more likely to have issues is the load/stress with a WDH, rear wheel bearings, and possible transmission overheating.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:46pm
We started out with an F150 3.oL for our 179.  With the amount of mountainous country that we travel in the southwest that was just not enough truck, especially if we were pulling a full fresh water tank, which we do often. I use a WDH and sway bar.

I traded that for a Silverado 1500, V8, 4WD and am very satisfied with it. I still use the WDH and sway bar, just to be on the safe side.  With the added height of the Hood River Edition, a cross wind can be tricky. I get on average 14 MPG and cruise between 60-62MPH.  We are retired and in no hurry to get anywhere.

Good luck on your decision, it's a stressing situation for sure.  Enjoy the RPOD!
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
The Hood River version really is the same and should weigh the same as the Eastern one except for a few lbs for the lift kit and 15 inch wheels, if those haven’t already been added anyway.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by TexasCruiser

This forum is awesome! I appreciate everyone's honest and helpful suggestions/counsel. I've gone back and forth on this matter. Being retired and on a fixed income we had not planned to upgrade our TV at this time. So my plan is to load up the Terrain and the RPod with what we need for short camping trips and get it weighed. Then I'll do the math and get a feel for whether or not I'm legal. Being absolute newbies we will go to a nearby local campground in early Spring to learn all the systems in the Pod. If everything works out we'll plan some longer trips but will avoid the mountains for now. Once we upgrade the TV we'll do those trips to WV, New England and the US and Canadian Rockies as well as the west and east coasts. Thanks again.

You’ll find that whatever gear you start out with you will want some more things. Awning, screen tent, bbq, folding chairs, solar, generator, ladder, tools, etc etc, etc.

Depending on where you live you can often get weighed for free at your county landfill or waste transfer station. You pay taxes to the county after all. Just go at a slow time and ask nice. One axle at a time, go home, drop the trailer, back through with the TV. Just a reminder not to tension the wdh, it will really throw off the axle weights. Leave it on the TV for the 2nd round.

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm
Our F-150 2.7 ecoboost does fine in the high Sierra pulling up steep grades with a trailer that has a fully loaded weight of 4400#.  The turbo boost makes altitude nearly irrelevant.  The only bad thing is that going down long grades, one must be very careful to keep the speed under control because the engine braking is not like a great big V-8.  Its max towing capacity is 7800#.  And, the mileage is much better than our Dakota.  On our last trip we got 14.9 mpg according to the onboard computer.  That is pretty typical for us as long as we don't have awful head winds.  With our Fastway e2 the ride is smooth and comfortable even in bad cross-winds.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TexasCruiser View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:37pm
Offgrid: Leave it on the TV for the 2nd round.

Sorry but leave what on for the 2nd round? Do I weigh with the trailer twice, once with the WDH and once without? I'm confused.
TexasCruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:57pm
Sorry. Should have been more clear. The wdh should be left in the receiver on the TV for the second weighing. It’s considered to be part of the TV not the trailer since it is rigidly attached to the TV. You can also put the spring bars in the rear of the TV to account for their weight.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TexasCruiser View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:22pm
Gotcha. Thanks much!
TexasCruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Our F-150 2.7 ecoboost does fine in the high Sierra pulling up steep grades with a trailer that has a fully loaded weight of 4400#.  The turbo boost makes altitude nearly irrelevant.  The only bad thing is that going down long grades, one must be very careful to keep the speed under control because the engine braking is not like a great big V-8.  Its max towing capacity is 7800#.  And, the mileage is much better than our Dakota.  On our last trip we got 14.9 mpg according to the onboard computer.  That is pretty typical for us as long as we don't have awful head winds.  With our Fastway e2 the ride is smooth and comfortable even in bad cross-winds.

LA, you tow at around 55 or so, right? Most modern high efficiency vehicles will get around 15 mpg towing an rpod at 55-ish on flat ground with no wind. Drag from the rpod dominates and drag goes with the square of the relative wind so at 60 it is 19% higher than at 55. At 60 with a 10 mph headwind it is a remarkable 62% higher. Now that is where you might have trouble with a 2.0 liter keeping up, not to mention terrible fuel economy.

When I first got my rpod I was buzzing along at 60-65 with a 25 mph tailwind getting about 18-19mpg. Boy was I happy. Never happened again...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by offgrid

When I first got my rpod I was buzzing along at 60-65 with a 25 mph tailwind getting about 18-19mpg. Boy was I happy. Never happened again...

Same happened to me.  When I calc'd my gas mileage after getting home with my new (to me) Rpod, I thought "19 mpg, not too bad."  It was not a miracle, it was elimination of wind resistance due to a tailwind.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>