R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeights and Measures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weights and Measures
    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:47pm
A 2.0 litre turbo charged engine puts out about 250 hp.....from my experience this is plenty of power for my r189
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm
Another factor to consider is wind drag.  Traveling at 45 mph or less it probably isn't a huge factor.  Above those speeds it is huge.  Also in case of a situation where you may have to suddenly slow down or stop (deer, bear, another motorist),  will your vehicle have enough 'beef' to handle the situation at hand?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:01am
My experience with towing when we had the 2016 Escape 2L Ecoboost which also had a 3500 lb tow rating is yes, it will have enough power if it is turbocharged and yes, as long as the brakes on the RPod are functioning correctly, it will be able to slow down and stop quickly in an emergency. I had to slow down quickly more than once in the thousands of miles I towed with the Escape and never failed to slow down quickly unless there were a problem with the RPod brakes.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:56am
If you’re within the MCGVWR for the rig and you have functioning trailer brakes then straight line dry pavement braking should be OK. Ditto for raw hp, but because air drag will be high you will be stopping to fill that little gas tank much more often. A small tow vehicle does nothing to improve fuel economy towing, in fact it can well be worse than with a heavier TV because the smaller engine will be operating much above its most efficient rpm.

The biggest factor is weight capacity, that’s why you have to get honest actual loaded weights to compare to your specs (axles, trailer, hitch, MCGVR, tongue percent of trailer weight). If you are over anywhere not only are no longer legal but you have a dangerous rig. You can bend the frame, break an axle, or lose control in a sudden maneuver or on a slippery or irregular surface.

Many people ignore or just don’t know that they are overloaded because of the misleading way the TV and trailer specs are presented by the manufacturers. They might well be fine until the unexpected happens and then they’re not.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:54am
The one thing hardly mentioned here is, all things are relative. What is your specific want. If you tow the pod two or three times a year, down to the local campground that's 1 - 2 hours away, with a little fore thought, you'll be just fine. Everybody assumes you want to load it up and travel cross country, which if that's your desire, your vehicle is not a great choice. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:55am
+1 on the fillups - we get about 14-15 mpg avg towing so that is about 180 miles to fill up....but for us that is 3 hours so we are ready to pull off.....retired not in a hurry and bathroom and strecthing pit stops more a factor
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:00am
The more remote and mountainous areas you travel the range becomes more important. You might be willing to go to where you have a couple gallons left in the tank in a populated area but if you’re in an unpopulated area, especially in the west you need more. Personally I like at least a 5 gal reserve. In the mountains getting 10 mpg not 14 that’s only 50 miles. If you have a 15 gallon tank that gives a range of about 100 miles. There are destinations I’ve gone just in WV where you are close to 100 miles round trip from the nearest gas station. I’ve been really glad to have a 20 gal fuel tank rather than 15, that 1/3 larger tank effectively increases my range by 50%. Even 20 gal isn’t generous.

You can pick a nice day and travel an hour, but if you’re not legal then it really doesn’t matter if you’re heading to the local park or traveling cross country. If you get in a wreck and someone is injured you will be considered negligent. Just sayin’
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:41am
If we're going to really remote areas where there is the possibility of running out of gas, we carry a can or two of extra gas in 5 gal. metal gas cans in the truck bed.  Since or Dakota died and we got our F-150, with the improved mileage with the ecoboost and a 26 gallon tank, it's very rare to ever need to carry extra gasoline.  I don't think we'd carry gas if we had to put it in the cargo areas inside the passenger compartment of an SUV; too stinky and dangerous.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:25am
I wouldn’t keep gas in my suv either. Plus gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon, so an extra 30 plus lbs per 5 gal can, it all adds up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TexasCruiser View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:51am
This forum is awesome! I appreciate everyone's honest and helpful suggestions/counsel. I've gone back and forth on this matter. Being retired and on a fixed income we had not planned to upgrade our TV at this time. So my plan is to load up the Terrain and the RPod with what we need for short camping trips and get it weighed. Then I'll do the math and get a feel for whether or not I'm legal. Being absolute newbies we will go to a nearby local campground in early Spring to learn all the systems in the Pod. If everything works out we'll plan some longer trips but will avoid the mountains for now. Once we upgrade the TV we'll do those trips to WV, New England and the US and Canadian Rockies as well as the west and east coasts. Thanks again.
TexasCruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>