Topic ClosedSetting-up New 2021 R-189

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
EchoGale View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting-up New 2021 R-189
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:41am
Tangentially related, I bought my Rpod used from another owner. I've had a difficult time here in Florida getting any dealership that is at all interested in helping with much of anything (I don't mean for free, I mean even at their hourly rates). They primarily sell RVs and their service centers exist to service what they sell. And they stay so busy it's not worth their trouble.
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:22am
Sounds like this owner has to do his own PDI.....wow....

Hey, for a round trip plane ticket to Vegas, a rental car, (nothing TOO fancy, I'm reasonable) and a 3 day stay at Mandalay Bay, I might be able to find a two hour block of time to help you out!

Cool

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Lots to unpack here.

First, you should run through all the systems in the trailer, make sure you know how they operate, and inspect everything. There have been lots of quality issues with rpods (and pretty much all travel trailer manufacturers). Check for leaks in particular, those can cause hidden damage which is very difficult to repair.

As for installing the wdh, you can fo that yourself if you have a basic tool set and are semi handy with auto repairs. Even if you have someone else do it, you should go through the setup procedure yourself so you understand it and can adjust it later when you make loading changes. With any wdh, the objective is to end up with the trailer level and the height of the front suspension back where it was before hitching up the trailer (without a wdh the front axle load gets lighter when you connect the trailer).

Ditto on the brake controller, make sure you know how to set it up and understand how to use it’s features. You want to be able to firmly stop the rig with only the trailer brakes by putting the manual control on its max setting, short of locking up the trailer wheels. That sets the max braking action. There is usually a second adjustment on the brake controller that sets how aggressively the trailer brakes come on when you use the tow vehicle brakes. That adjustment is a personal choice based on conditions, you might for example want to increase aggressiveness going down a steep grade to save your tow vehicle brakes. Be sure you know how to adjust that while in the road.

There is no external power switch, when you connect to shore power you will have grid power to your trailer, including 12v output to your battery system. Without shore power you won’t have ac to the receptacles, air conditioner, microwave, electrical heating element in the water heater, or ac power to the fridge. All the12v lights, fan, water pump, propane heat for the water heater, furnace, and propane operation of the fridge will work as long as you have a charger battery.

If you don’t already have a battery and are planning on having shore power then a single 12v deep cycle battery will be fine. If you are planning to boon dock, consider getting two 6v golf cart batteries (size gc2). Be careful with your tongue weight though, dual batteries will add about 80 lbs. Regardless, you should load up your trailer and tow vehicle as you plan to use it, including water if you boon dock, and get weights on the whole rig, each axle, and the tongue. If you use the search function you can find my posts on how to do that at s public scale.   

There should already be covers on the gray and black water drain lines.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
kmhappel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:49pm
Hi,

I have a new R-189 that was unloaded from the transport today. Not being anywhere near the dealer, I was wondering where I could get advice on setting it up. I have a blue-ox sway bar/hitch to be assembled, a CURT plug brake controller that needs to be dialed in and questions about battery usage and where the internal/external power switch is. Do the sewer and grey water pipes have covers, none were present (can I make or buy some?). I can't find a lucid description of the instrument panel and answers about about winterization.

What do you think a fair price for a setup up at a local r-pod dealer would cost? 

Since we bought it online, I have read the forest river manuals that are less informative than our year with a Thor Vega class A. There is a large mall parking lot that will get us up to speed towing and backing up at night. Thanks.
May God Bless Your Day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12