R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCondensation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Condensation
    Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 2:51pm
Hello!

We are new rpod owners and tt campers and took two trips this fall in cooler weather (overnight lows in the 30s and 40s). We have an rPod 178 and if we didn't have the fan pulling air out through the bathroom all night we woke up with a ton of condensation on the inside of the trailer. It gets pretty chilly having the fan going all night. We ran the camper furnace on gas as well as a electric heater. Any tips on how to reduce condensation without having the fan running all night? 

Thanks for your help!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 6:40pm
Welcome to the forum!  Good to see another podder from Michigan here.  We are located about 25 miles north of Traverse City, on the poor side of the road overlooking Torch Lake. 

It is indeed a challenge to keep condensation to a minimum and it does seem counterproductive to open windows and run the FF fan to keep the moisture level to an acceptable level, but it is a necessary thing to do.  What we do in our 177 is to open the windows on either side of the bed about 1/4" and the lid to the FF in the bathroom is open about 1/2" but the fan is turned off.  This has worked quite well for us, there is still a minimal amount of condensation but not a ridiculous amount as when we had everything 'buttoned up.' 

Will you be joining us at the Traverse City R-Pod rally June 17-20?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:36am
The other thing you can do to help minimize condensation is, don't try to get the pod to warm. The warmer the pod gets, the more condensation you'll get. I usually keep the thermostat about 63- 64 and the bathroom fan on. I've never had much of a problem with condensation, if any. Of course I rarely camp in weather below 35 degrees. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:50am
You are getting condensation because there is more moisture inside the trailer than outside. Cooler air contains much less water. Short of keeping it cold inside, you have to try to Remove all sources of moisture in the trailer as much as possible. Dry dishes, dry up the shower when you’re done, don’t leave any open containers of liquid around. Actively vent the trailer when using water or cooking. That leaves your exhalations overnight as the primary source of the water. Since you probably don’t want to hold your breath all night the only way to get rid of that moisture is by having some ventilation. As jato days it’s necessary.

Try leaving the vent open and cracking a couple of windows, the warm moist air in the trailer should rise up through the vent and be replaced by cooler dryer air via the windows, without needing to have the fan on. Experiment around a bit to see what works, it will change with varying outside temp, humidity, and wind conditions.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MelissaJoy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it! Yes, I am going to try to make the Rpod meet up in June. We are in TC so just around the corner. :) 

Post Reply Post Reply