R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm
Welcome to the R-Pod world. Even though we too are new R-Pod owners, 177 HRE, we have been RV'ing for a while and it is FUN!
We are actually going up in size with our 177, we had a 14' Zoom, which was a great little travel trailer, but just that little bit too small with no permanent bed, the settee had to be made into a bed every time.
On our recent last trip to Utah and northern Arizona, we covered 2450 miles in 8 days, it was awesome!
So enjoy your new toy and this great country of ours!
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:40am
I really like the exterior appearance of the HRE but I'm having trouble figuring out if I need to go that route. We tend to camp mostly at established private/state/national parks/Army Corps of Engineer areas and don't see ourselves going "off-road" (a somehwat over and mis-used term) much. We like the idea of the diamond plating panel up front but recently added something called "Rock Tamers" (oversized) mud flaps to our Tacoma so not much gets thrown back at our current trailer.

The larger, knobby tires look cool but would be more expensive to replace and would be noisier on the road and most likely lower fuel economy. That being said   ...they would contribute to greater ground clearance.

What I do see and like is the built-in "lifters" that add 3" of ground clearance    ...but those can be bought as an option and added to the standard R-Pod.

I guess what I am saying is that eventhough we live in Wyoming, it seems like the standard R-pod (with the "lifter" option) would suit our needs.

Am I missing something in the small print? Does the HRE include any provision for higher elevation - - because THAT would be a concern for us. I don't see any mention of elevation considerations in the literature.
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:10pm
What did everybody do who lives/camps west of the Mississippi before there was a Hood River Edition (HRE) R-Pod ?

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:37pm
Added the risers, or used a tent.  Tongue
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:53pm
I love the metal protection .. I wish I could have that on my R-Pod
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Damour

I love the metal protection .. I wish I could have that on my R-Pod

Most any good RV dealer could add that for you.  It is generally referred to as "Diamond Plate".  It does not have to come from Forest River - special for the Pod.  It can be purchased in a stock size and cut to fit.
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:08pm
I asked for a 3M plastic protection (I have that on my Santa Fe hood)

And it has cost me over 1100$ to put that on my R-Pod (on the front but 60 inches of height)

It was too expensive for me.

Do someone have already a diamond plate on his R-Pod ?
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:06pm
We have now been out in our HRE (I'm calling it Rpod-Dpod) twice. Overall it is great. We are towing with a 1998 Toyota Sienna with 180,000 miles on it. On this second trip we went to a redwood park that involved driving down (and up!) a very narrow, winding, steep road. No problems! We're delighted with how well it went. Our dealer didn't have any non-HRE, so we didn't have anything to compare it with. As far as I can tell from the pictures, it is the same inside as the non-HRE. Maybe they just  want to cut shipping costs and aren't sending pods "out west"  from the original plant anymore.

On our first "shake-down" trip, it did shake down. The refrig. latch broke, one of the blinds wouldn't stay up, then fell off in the service person's hand, and the facing around one of the bench seats broke off due to being mounted too high. Got those fixed. This trip we forgot our camp stove (We like to cook outside) so used the inside stove for the first time. There was a strong gas smell outside after using the stove. (Not with just the refrig. on gas, though.) When we checked it out at home, there is a gas leak at the tank after the stove has been turned on. One of the outside compartment doors won't lock, it was hard from the beginning.  So another trip to the service dept!

Is this typical with a new pod, or did we get a "lemon"?  Hopefully, this will be our last set of problems!  We are enjoying Dpod, and are figuring out how to organize things. We are looking forward to camping during the winter, which we can do out here in California. Smile
Happy podding!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:53pm
Sorry to hear of your problems.  Most people don't have big problems like that, but a few have.  Some problems don't show up until later - like peeling decals.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:28am
Don't get me wrong, I'll love my R-Pod as do many owners who jump-in to defend Forest River any time someone mentions the problems they have had with their toy.  In our  case, we had a leaky window and pull-out, twice repaired and still leaking, a faulty ground fault plug, defective converter, peeling decals, improperly secured wiring.  And that's not counting the alterations done to bring this unit up to standards of previous unit, ie, hinges and prop-up rod on bench covers, risers to stop tearing of jacks, reinforcing rear hitch, etc.

Let's not forget the much talked about wind drag issue, which whether you believe is a design flaw or not, the R-Pod's are a tougher pull than they should be for their weight.

As has  been evidenced in other posts, ForestRiver is following these forums with interest. Hopefully, future owners will benfit from the changes ForestRiver will choose to make to their future units, and all thanks to owners who choose to share the real issues they have encountered with their favorite toy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>