R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:43pm
Ok this was just sent to me.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm
Great, glad you got hold of this.  I emailed FR yesterday but no response...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:39pm
I saw the link in another of the forum subjects.  What is the difference with this Hood River Edition R-Pod and others? Why are certain options mentionned to be: Exclusive on Hood River Edition only and available to WC dealers only?

Wouldn't it be nice if Forest River owned up to their false advertising and offered thi spoiler as a recall item supplied and installed free of charge!!!  One can dream can't one? Assuming it does have an impact on the air drag and low mpg problems discussed in this forum, it would be interesting to pursue...

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:51pm
What false advertising are you mentioning?
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:58pm

I would like to see the sink in the bathroom and what they used for a cover on the stove.

Second it looks like the spolier would be an easy install, (if it works_would like to see a wind tunnel video), secondly it would also take care of the lighting in the rear top of the pod (which was of some discussion not to long ago). 

So if you don't have a HRE edition can we still order the parts and get it them installed (or do it yourself)?.

"quote tma-333" Wouldn't it be nice if Forest River owned up to their false advertising and offered thi spoiler as a recall item supplied and installed free of charge!!!"quote tma-333"

tma-333 What false advertising are you talking about?

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 2:57pm
Doesn't that brochure seem a bit amateurish?  'Specially compared to Forest River's 2010 r-pod brochure.  On this brochure, there isn't much information on each page; the text must be huge in the printed version.  I also find it strange that a brochure would feature a picture of a scissor jack.  Not to mention that the spoiler and scissor jacks were two things I'd questioned in my previous post; its a bit coincidental that pictures of both appear here.

Speaking of scissor jacks, look at the way that thing hangs down.  You'd catch that thing on a rock and rip it off 20 feet after you left the paved road.

Have a look at that tire in the wheel well.  It doesn't fit the space properly.  There's only 2-3" of clearance at the edges before the tire will start chewing away at the fender.  Get that trailer into an off camber situation and the torsion axle will easily go 5-6".

I also question how shiny the diamond plate is.  You can see a reflection of the tongue and the propane tank.  Has anyone ever encountered diamond plate that reflects like a mirror?

But strangest yet, this brochure is clearly aimed at customers who already own r-pods.  There's no mention of the existing features and options.  I'd expect some mention of the wet bath.  How about a reference to the large fresh/grey/black tank sizes?  The brochure mentions a "digital thermostat," but there's no mention that the trailer has a furnace or an air conditioner - what the heck is the thermostat for?  Does the trailer have a fridge?  A stove?  Water heater?  How many people does it sleep?  How could anyone expect to attract new customers with this brochure?  There simply isn't enough information.

Instead, what we're seeing is someone's wish list.  Its what they'd like to see (or like to do) to their current r-pod.  We're just getting a wind-up.  Shenanigans.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:19pm

It could be that Forest River has not yet made the final brocure.  It took them a while before they added the T modesl in.  Also looking at the pictures on the side view they show the heater vents and also the door for the Hot Water Heater and fridge.  Also the top of the camper has an air condtioning cover on it.  I also feel the jacks could easily get caught but also look closely at the drains as they hang low also.  I think it is a start. 

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:57pm
Does the Hood River Edition have a rear soft sided extension?  From my airflow simulations with
different spoilers...it appears that the spoiler on the Hood River is just for water diversion on
a rear solid lift-up or to hold the 'missing' three clearance lights

I will try to run some simulations...but I think the spoiler is more a sales gimmick than an effective
mpg device. It is like some of the old spoilers on muscle cars which were effective if you were traveling at 120-180 mph...but only a sales gimmick if you didn't.  But boy, did you 'look' fast!

TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 5:18pm
OK, I'll jump into the fracus....

Why only West of the Mississippi?  You could make this yourself - if you want to shed a few excess dollars.

Axle risers can be bought/installed, if you don't already have them.
Knobby tires - any tire shop.
Diamond plate - any RV dealer that services RVs can install this easily.
Graphics - any automotive/truck sign/graphics shop can make you anything you want - even wrapping the whole vehicle.

I tend to believe it is "legit" because of some of the imperfections mentioned;
Fenders appear to be standard Pod fenders and don't fit the higher profile tires.  They don't cover enough of the wheel to be legal, in some states. Making 2 different fenders - not cost effective.

Scissor jacks don' make sense.  I seem to recall that they did not recommend jacking the Pod on the frame or axle.  (stabilizers  only)  Real ground clearance is only increased by the additional diameter of the tire.  You can raise the Pod 4 feet, if you want, but there is still that pesky axle down there hitting things.

I don't think the spoiler will do a lot, based on the air flow work done by some of the members here.

And my final negative thought - if a sink is placed in the bathroom, where does that leave room for an adult human being?

With all of that said, I do think it has a higher "coolness" factor than the original Pod.  I like the look of it and would like to see the inside.

My personal observation is that most companies (RV or any) have adopted the "Microsoft model"; issue a product (like a new operating system), let your end users find the problems with it, issue patches/fixes and then repeat this process in a couple of years.  Look what it did for Bill Gates!

Bottom line for me - it looks cool, but more info is needed before a verdict can be reached. 
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 5:27pm
I have been talking to a company that makes decals about changing mine out and doing a wild life view on the r-pod.  I have not pulled the trigger yet as what will I get for it?  Nothing but that it stands out.  Most of the other mods I have done to help me out or make it more user friendly.

I dream big is what my wife is always saying. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>