R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedResponse from FR Customer Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response from FR Customer Service
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by KirkH

Thanks.  Yeah I know I can install it on the camper, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't answer the question.
So you are saying that the pre-wired solar cables terminate at the battery?  There are 2 smaller cables/wires attached to the battery, that may be them.  I will use my digital multimeter to check those.

Look at it from FR’s perspective. What do they have to gain by answering the question? Nothing. What do they have to loose? A lawsuit if you screw it up based on their instructions and burn up your trailer. They could take the time to write up detailed generic msolar install instructions with all the appropriate safety warnings, but since they aren’t selling the add on solar kits they wouldn’t make any money doing that. It’s like asking your car manufacturer how to install an accessory they didn’t sell you. Never happens.

+ 1 to mcarter’s post.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm
Yes, the two small cables at battery are the solar connections.  Meter is always a good idea. +1 to OG regarding fuse addition.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
KirkH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
Thanks.  Yeah I know I can install it on the camper, I just think it's ridiculous that they won't answer the question.

So you are saying that the pre-wired solar cables terminate at the battery?  There are 2 smaller cables/wires attached to the battery, that may be them.  I will use my digital multimeter to check those.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:41am
Of course you can. You can install ceiling fans in your own house too, but you have to ignore the instructions in the box which say to have a licensed professional do it. FR is just protecting itself from incurring legal liability by someone “misunderstanding” their instructions.

Several others have noted that there are two wires leading in and out of that area, one end of each going to the roof for solar input and the other ends going to the battery area for the solar charge controller output. If you think you might have that situation then you can confirm it without cutting the wires by connecting the wires to each other at the battery end (not to the battery) and then going on the roof with an ohmmeter and checking continuity there between the two wires. If you have continuity then disconnect the wires at the battery and confirm that the two wires on the roof now show open circuit. Then you can cut the wires and install your controller in the space provided and the solar module on the roof.

Do please also install an appropriately sized fuse at the battery positive terminal as part of the install, otherwise if you get a short between the battery and the controller you can start a fire. You don’t need a fuse between The solar module and the controller, it won’t do anything anyway.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
KirkH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:10am
I contacted Forest River customer service to ask where the "pre-wired" solar wires terminated.  They were not behind the GoPower template label that was on the cabinet by the door, like it said they would be.

Here's their response:
Due to our policy you will need to contact your dealer for this information.   We are not allowed for safety reasons to give this to owners.

The dealer would also be the one to install the solar panel and converter.

What a joke! After the problems I have had with my new travel trailer, I wouldn't let the dealer anywhere near my camper!  i've had to fix so many things that were not assembled correctly.  I can't install solar power ON MY OWN CAMPER?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12