Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to rPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to rPod
    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 6:19pm
Bought an rPod 178 (2013) from a friend. Good condition, but I can't find info about the TV antenna on the roof... any info will help!
First recreational vehicle, just trying to learn the 'ropes'!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm
this is not specific to the 178, but MOST RPods have a small red push button located on the cover plate where the cable/antenna connection is located. This is the antenna booster switch and by pushing the button in, the light should come on and the antenna is now functional.  Usually, one must then do a channel search on the tv to find which channels are available in that area.
Note that the booster is powered by the 12volt power system and if left on it can draw down the battery if  you are not connected to shore power. Turn it off when not in use if not on shore power.
Use the "search" feature at the top of the page to see lots of discussion about the antenna and booster.
Welcome to the Forum
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:42am
Welcome. Great to have more pilots on the forum. I like the ‘coupe, wish I could get a hangar somewhere nearby. 👍
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ercoupe Flyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 7:59pm
Thanks, always grateful for help from fellow pilots! I'll look for that red button....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Thanks... I hope to find the Red button tomorrow. 👌
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:36am
As a fellow pilot you might be interested in the work some of us have done on the weight and balance of our trailers. As rpods are very light trailers they can be pretty sensitive to getting out of their “w&b envelope”. You can use the forum advanced search function to find those posts if you’re interested.

Enjoy your rpod!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:36am
Great idea, thanks! I routinely do W&B calculations on a variety of aircraft..

Makes sense to do it on our 178. I am concerned that the prior owner added a heavy MEMORY FOAM mattress to the aft bed location.... adding the tank liquids appears to cause a dangerous aft CG! (I'm always been cautious in taildraggers).
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
If your r-pod turns into a tail-dragger, and you do a ground loop on take-off or landing, you won't like it!

Best to get the weight and balance where it needs to be before departure....
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:06am
I once put two ladies in the rear seats of my Grumman tiger and it dropped on its tail before us larger front seaters could get in. That prompted me to recalc my w&b. We were in the cg envelope but not by a lot. The flight was uneventful so the math works.

I did a little informal survey a couple years ago and found that there have been several reported rpod sway events right around or just below the traditional 10% minimum tongue weight limitation. Since then I keep my tongue weight at 11% or higher. You are right to be concerned about water tank weight, in the case of my 179 moving a fresh tank full of water (outbound) to a gray tankful (inbound) changes the tongue weight by 3%, so depending on your tow vehicle’s max tongue weight spec it can be challenging to keep everything “in the envelope”, especially if you boon dock and lug water around.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I once put two ladies in the rear seats of my Grumman tiger and it dropped on its tail before us larger front seaters could get in. That prompted me to recalc my w&b. We were in the cg envelope but not by a lot. The flight was uneventful so the math works.

My Long-EZ would fall on its butt if you put the nose wheel down with no one sitting in it. A pilot needed to be > 110 lbs in order to stay inside the envelope.

The most extreme case of w&b I'd ever seen was a cowboy flyer I met in Northway Alaska. He was flying an all-black Cessna 210. He'd flown into Northway with all the seats (except the pilot seat) removed and three 55 gallon barrels strapped in the back. He was picking up diesel fuel for his dude ranch somewhere south of Northway. His explanation to me was that he filled the barrels until the nose wheel started to lift off the ground. He'd throw something into the one remaining seat to bring it down. As far as he was concerned, it would be "in balance" when he got in to fly. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>