R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: BetterWeigh Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetterWeigh Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: BetterWeigh Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale
    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:27am
Anyone have experience using this device?

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:43pm
I'm very interested to see replies
Julie
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 1:43pm
I have one and the tongue weight part is somewhat accurate......within 10%to 15%.  You have to let it know which vehicle you have by vin #.  Trailer weight I got was all over the map totally unreilable.  You get on level ground and accelerate....I got weights of 4600 to 3900.  When I weighed my trailer it was 3300 on cat scale.  Tongue weight you stand on the hitch and you input your weight to the app then it uses that to approximate the tongue weight....it was about 10 to 15 percent high compared to a Sherline scale.  You need to use a CAT scale if you want accuracy.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 2:26pm
I am going to buy one of these as soon as it starts to get spring-ish. I think this will work very well.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 3:13pm
I agree with you, mjlrpod.  That device looks a lot more accurate.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm
I have done this, and it works good.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:16am
Why not just go through a scale twice? Once with the trailer, once without. Remove tension on the wdh if you have one. On the first weighing, get the tow vehicle weight, then the whole rig. On the second weighing, get the tow vehicle by itself. You’re using a calibrated scale that you can trust is accurate. Might even get it done for free at your county waste transfer station.

Tongue weight = tv with trailer - tv without.
Trailer weight = total eight with trailer - tv without.

You need that total rig weight anyway to confirm your GCVWR is within specs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
I have the Sherline; Amazon.com: Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000lb: Home Improvement 
The CAT scale is great to make sure you are in specs.  The Sherline helps when I am balancing for tongue weight because I have to be at 350 lbs because of my hitch rating.  I can't recommend the BetterWeigh just not accurate enough.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
I ordered the one I had mentioned earlier (and below) from E Trailer. I wanted to make sure there was no sudden rush in the spring. Using the scales at a truck stop might work, especially if you want to know total weights. But for tongue weight, you have to go everytime you load, unless you keep everything the exact same, which seems unlikely. I think if you can put the scale under it as you load up, it's a much easier way to do it. The sherline looks good, but I trust E-Trailer more than Amazon. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:42pm
I guess if you are right at your tow vehicle tongue weight limit then you might need to weigh the tongue every time, but I’ve only weighed mine once or twice. Once you have your loading settled you will know the range the trailer and tongue weights will be in and you shouldn’t have to weigh again unless you make a major change. By far the biggest variable is whether and how much water you have in your tanks, water is heavy, a full 30 gallon rpod water tank weighs 250 lbs.

If you do make a major change and don’t want to re-weigh you can easily calculate the change to tongue weight from adding or subtracting a load. Think of the trailer as a teeter totter rotating around it’s axle. This is the same method pilots use when calculating weight and balance in airplanes so it’s safe and accurate.

Change in tongue weight = (distance from weight to trailer axle x change in weight)/distance from tongue to axle). Add to tongue weight for loads added in front of the axle and subtract from tongue weight when removing loads in front of the axle. Do the reverse for loads behind the axle (subtract from tongue weight when adding and add to tongue weight when removing).

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>