R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfolding bicycle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: folding bicycle
    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 6:17pm
I am not comfortable using a hitch rack on the back of our Pod and are thinking that folding bikes may be the answer.  We can stow them in the back seat of our truck or in the bed (both secure) when not in use.  If you have experience with a folding bike I would sure appreciate some feedback as to the like or dislike; brand, tire size, gears (?), bike weight, ease of fold and unfold, durability and weight limit on rider.

Thanks in advance for your response,
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
I’ve had a Dahon folding bike for about 10-15 years. Used to take it with me in my airplane so I could get around when I landed somewhere without having to rent a car. Got it used on CL pretty cheaply. 5 speed. Nothing special but it does it’s job just fine. Takes about 15 seconds to fold or unfold.

If you want to spend the $$ the gold standard used to be the Brompton, not sure these days. There are also folding ebikes now that you could consider.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Camp town usa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:17pm
considering i only have 1 week of Rpod experience it enriches me knowing im finally able to give someone a forum response.  

About the bike idea - there's some good options out there, and they wont disappoint.  I have a 'nice' folding bike i found on CL, but will tell you if there is an option to ride a normal bike or a folding, i would always vote against the folding bike.  There are cons and would suggest you ride it before you buy it.  having security and portability is a nice bonus for our people though.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:37pm
+1 on folding bike.  Have ridden one but prefer a regular road bike over it.  In our case we have Specialized Allez Elite road bikes, carbon fork and only weighs in at 18.5 lbs; so pretty easy to carry and/or maneuver when moving around.  That being said, we carry ours by two different methods.   One is to place them inside the 177, the other in the bed of our F-150.  Both methods work and because of their weight being light, is easy to put in either location.  The last thing I want to do is to be cleaning road debris off frame or grease/oil off the chain.  By having them protected, that chore is eliminated.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 7:58am
Checkout the Montaque Swiss Bike line. I bought an X-50 around 10 years ago. Always kept in my car trunk while traveling extensively for business & it's a great ride for a folding bike.

https://www.montaguebikes.com/swissbike-x50-mountain-folding-bikes/

GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply