R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken fresh water tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken fresh water tank
    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 11:24am
It looks like I went over a speed bump that was just a little too high. It ripped off the drain point of my fresh water tank. I still have the piece that got taken off but I have no idea how to re-attach it and still maintain the integrity of the tank so it doesn't leak water.

Any ideas?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 12:46pm
Did it rip the drain out of the tank itself or shear it off? Its difficult to get anything to adhere well to the tank material which is low density polyethylene. Maybe if you took a picture or two and posted them it would if anyone has any ideas. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm
Polyethylene is normally heat welded.   You might find someone who could weld it ultrasonically. 

Amazon would make you think a new tank might not be expensive, but contact Forest River or your dealer first. 

At least in concept, you could *soften* both the tank and the drain surfaces at the break with 2 heat guns or propane torches and force them back together while they are very soft.  Be sure the force is even and a little poly extrused from the weld surface.  Hold in place until it cools a little.  Don't set anything on fire!  This is how polyethylene pipe is welded. 

At this point you don't have much to lose. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 2:42pm
If it is the tank to fitting joint that has been torn loose, and not the fitting itself (which could be easier to repair), then you could try West Systems gflex epoxy. I did this to repair a polyethylene kayak and it worked, but it will take some luck.  You need to flame treat the polyethylene surface first to get decent adhesion. See attached for adhesion data. Also, any cracks need to be stop drilled first. 

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/gflex-epoxy-adhesion-data/

You could also try carefully drilling out a nice clean hole and using a rubber expansion plug to seal it. Another long shot but it might work.  You don't need the drain to be there, you can use the pump suction fitting to drain the tank. Something like this:

https://www.envirodesignproducts.com/products/cherne-1-1-2-sure-grip-plug?variant=12330564518006

What year is your rPod and is it an East Coast or West Coast version? The earlier Eastern ones were pretty low to the ground. If you have one of those I'd suggest getting a riser kit for the trailer so you don't have the problem again. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply