R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Sagging by John Marucci

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Sagging by John Marucci
    Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 8:33am
I follow this gentleman and his woes with his Rpod. Having the kitchen in the back puts more stress on the floor whereas my RP190 has only a table and no walking around weight that the models have with a kitchen in the back.

Please take a look at John's videos on his rpod and this efforts to get FR to do something.
He has alot of good information. Subscribe and get more knowledge & power.

Buying An RV During Unprecedented Times - 5 Cautions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JXAApykTc
Wynnster
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:22pm
John is a member here, and posts fairly often. I wouldn't say he has woes with his pod, but he's had a few things happen. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:48pm
Several of 179 owners have followed his advice and installed floor braces similar to what the factory has done.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 6:56pm
I have enjoy his posts and I will continue to follow him. Keep up the good work John!
Wynnster
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:13am
Anybody know about how much throat fix is costing? My are sagging. 
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:11am
Throat fixes are expensive. Ask your otolaryngologist for a quote before agreeing.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by rawest50

Anybody know about how much throat fix is costing? My are sagging. 

The fix involves finding someone to fabricate a brace for you. The materials are not too expensive. The expensive part is geting it cut and welded to the right dimensions. with plates drilled so the brace can be installed. It has to be the width between the frame which may vary by a little, so measure carefully so it will go in and not leave any big gaps between the plate and frame.

If you want it powder coated, that will be extra. Mine came unpainted, so I had to wire brush it and then paint it. Some prices will vary depending on whether you can do the welding yourself or whether you need to find a metal shop to do the work. Total should still come to under $100. You can use the same type #14 self-drilling/tapping screws used by FR in the rest of the braces to install it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:39pm
LOL Yep. 
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
SPrins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SPrins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:37pm
I will be doing a variation of this repair later in the spring. Will document with photos as we move along. I plan on making a grid of sorts using 1.5 inch square tubing and a sheet of 1 inch PVC sheeting. This way I do not have to worry about wrapping the sheeting to prevent water damage. 

I will also be bracing the floor that extends over the frame below the slide out. I will be using 3 pieces of 1/4" thick angle iron 3 x 5 inches that is 12 inches long. Will also post pics of that project as well.

I do not believe I have either of these issues occurring with my 2018 - 179; but am taking a very proactive approach to make these items non issues.

2018 R-Pod 179
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:36pm
If I were to do it over, I would likely go with the aluminum brace displayed in this video:

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>