This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Snow Birding anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow Birding anyone?
    Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 4:37pm
Baja is great in the winter, folks are really nice, and best of all its very inexpensive if you pick the right places and eat local. Only bottled water for drinking and cooking of course. 

Don't know what the Covid restrictions are. Other than that, you'll need passports, tourist cards (called the FMM) which are good for up to 180 days and you can get at the border, MX auto insurance, also available at the border, and you need it regardless of what your US policy says. If you're going way south in Sonora you'll need a temp vehicle importation permit, but not for Baja or northern Sonora. Do not bring any firearms into MX unless you like the idea of spending time behind bars there. If you bring a dog (and want to bring him back with you) then you will need rabies paperwork.  None of this stuff is a big deal to do, and there are tons of US and Canadian citizens and vehicles with US tags.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 7:49am
Thank you for the info!
I read the email pack sent to me this am for requirements/rules to join the group. Much of what you said was in there, plus specific requirements for the group. I'm impressed by the way they did it.

They only want 4 rigs and 3 have committed so far. I signed in as an alternate, due to It's a long trip and so far Wifey is only on board for a 6 week run. Right now I have her in for the Gulf run with a 'We'll see' once we hit Texas. I know with 6 weeks I'll cross AZ as well. Baja may have to wait for another year and I have her committed to being gone 3 months! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:21am
If you get that far, want to go to MX for a couple of days, but can't join the organized group, not to worry. There are lots of private campgrounds nearby the Ensenada, San Felipe, and Puerto Penasco areas within a couple of hours of the border. Its all quite organized and civilized. Lots of US and Canadian expats. You can gain some experience with the border procedures and save the big adventure south into Baja for another time, at which point you might be comfortable enough to go on your own. Just a thought.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
I received an invite for a seminar on visiting/joining a group to Baja, MX. Will be fun at least to do and learn a bit more. Comes from an Overlander group otherwise I'd post up the link for others. 

If it turns out good, I'll post up on the next one for informational purposes for this group. 

I will always have smile when I see an rPod at a campsite!

I also recieved much input running Yuma, AZ to Organ Pipe by Overland. Routing is becoming very important and not suggested as solo. Very interesting area and will research further. 

I believe I'm building a season path with warmth in mind.. 

Then again.. I'm not totally sane (so I'm told)!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:03am
I have much of the itinerary in place for the Jan/Feb run now. Departure is set now for Jan 20th.

Depending on how we feel we make it to Tallahassee Fri/Sat and stay in the Apalachicola NF then travel along the Gulf Coast to North Padre Island for the next 2+ weeks landing in San Antonio around Feb 9th.

I don't wish to push to Carlsbad, so what's to be seen San Antonio to Carlsbad? 

From there it's what I hoped to see in southern AZ working my way to Yuma on or about Feb 20th. Still debating, yet learning so much about possibly heading into the Baja.

Latest thoughts as we enter AZ posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA2WmUlKTkU 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:35am
I've been getting some great info from another forum on the stretch across TX and my hopes of what to see/do.

Looks like we'll run a bit of the southern border to Big Bend NP and a bit more and turn north up into Marfa, TX and hope to see the mystery lights! Several historical places as well as interesting places, natural & man-made, to enjoy along this route. 

What I thought would be just another drive through Texas (very top typically for us), is working out to be something of much interest to us! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
Don't forget the Prada store out there in nowhere, West Texas. 

(ask your wife!)

Cool
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Don't forget the Prada store out there in nowhere, West Texas. 

(ask your wife!)

Cool

I had to look that up! Too Cool!

We'll drive right by it!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:28pm
You mentioned New Orleans at one point. Might check the Mardi Gras schedule and activities around Lafayette.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Dirt Sifter

You mentioned New Orleans at one point. Might check the Mardi Gras schedule and activities around Lafayette.

I have and we'll be 1 week before Fat Tuesday. Most all Parades/outdoor activity has been cancelled (that I've read so far). I'm fair sure even that won't stop most from showing up anyway. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>