This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Snow Birding anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow Birding anyone?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:47am
Originally posted by offgrid

If you want to take I81 south and miss the big cities you are welcome to overnight at my little farm near Hillsville VA, about 10 miles off I81. Its very quiet and I have a 30A outlet if you need one. Not warm this time of year but probably warmer than NH...

Appreciate the offer! In my new rig, I don't require any shore-power. I'm running now150ah of lithium and my DC/DC (traveling very 3-4th day) keeps me powered up. Just a fairly level size spot the size of a pickup! Love the system!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by furpod

We don't snowbird just yet.. But we spend a couple of weeks in SC for the holidays.. Couple more years before we do the 3-4 month thing..

I'm not sure we'd do 3-4 months, yet I wouldn't wish to miss Jan/Feb around here. To be back by mid-March sounds about right to me. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Appreciate the offer! In my new rig, I don't require any shore-power. I'm running now150ah of lithium and my DC/DC (traveling very 3-4th day) keeps me powered up. Just a fairly level size spot the size of a pickup! Love the system!

Rig looks great. I like the pop top, had a popup Toyota mini for awhile which was a really nice park it anywhere rig although kinda hard to keep warm in the winter. 

Plenty of room for ya. PM me a couple of days before you plan to arrive and I'll give you directions. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:22am
I plan on heading over to Quartzsite about mid January....depending on weather here and in the Rockies...but that is the approximate planned departure time.  It's not the first time I've been, but it IS the first time my r-pod will see the desert.

BTW, that 'bug-out' rig probably gets a lot of attention, but it will fit right in out west...especially if parked near all the other 'over-landers'....

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by podwerkz

I plan on heading over to Quartzsite about mid January....depending on weather here and in the Rockies...but that is the approximate planned departure time.  It's not the first time I've been, but it IS the first time my r-pod will see the desert.

BTW, that 'bug-out' rig probably gets a lot of attention, but it will fit right in out west...especially if parked near all the other 'over-landers'....

Real close to my potential arrival timeframe! I still hoping the RTR happens and would be a first time for me. Figure right now I'll be at Roadrunner, but Magic Circle has a cool name!

Plan is to travel to Joshua Tree by desert! AZ Peace Trail & Bradshaw Trails as main ones. Have you been on them? 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:47am
Magic Circle? Well, our YARC group is not far from that but we are not nudists...but sometimes you can see them and often hear the music at their party tent, wafting thru the cool evening air.

I'm not a fan of RTR itself but I do visit friends who attend...and I think that event is a wash-out this year.

I hang out with friends in and around the LTVA and BLM areas near Quartzsite mostly...and I meander down to the border towns but that is kinda 'iffy' now also. 

Also I usually attend Quartzfest but again...that is kinda 'iffy' as of now. The big RV show is supposed to be a 'go' but with limitations and restrictions.

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 6:14pm
To be honest I haven't lived in Yuma for 30 years. I was stationed also at 29 Palms. Very familiar with Joshua Tree, Quartzite, the recreational areas in AZ as they were 30 years ago.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:54am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Magic Circle? Well, our YARC group is not far from that but we are not nudists...but sometimes you can see them and often hear the music at their party tent, wafting thru the cool evening air.

I'm not a fan of RTR itself but I do visit friends who attend...and I think that event is a wash-out this year.

I hang out with friends in and around the LTVA and BLM areas near Quartzsite mostly...and I meander down to the border towns but that is kinda 'iffy' now also. 

Also I usually attend Quartzfest but again...that is kinda 'iffy' as of now. The big RV show is supposed to be a 'go' but with limitations and restrictions.

Didn't know that about the Magic Circle.. that would have been a surprise! RTR will probably be an informal meet up, much like most everything of this sort this winter.. I have a Truck-camper meet-up towards the end of Jan, so could be in the area for a bit.. 

Hoping to have my Ham License by then, yet will have the GMRS running on Channel 1. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Hoping to have my Ham License by then, yet will have the GMRS running on Channel 1. 

You would enjoy Quartzfest then, its primarily ham radio related but there are a lot of other activities on offer....normally. 

Of course this time...who knows....

But something to think about...and it is on BLM land so you get two weeks free camping. I plan to be there....If they have the blue welcome tent up, or the main special event station, or the main fire ring area, I am roughly about 1000 feet DUE WEST of that area...about even with the first 'wash'...I mean....how many grey-colored r-pod 171s are gonna be there anyway?  You'll find me. 

Have a VHF hand held or scanner tuned to 146.550 simplex when you get there.

My general location, not exact (since the spot might be taken by someone else) but I will be in this area, zoom out for a view of the intersection:

To get there, you head south out of Q and turn right on La Paz Valley Road, then turn right again, onto the desert floor, past the welcome stand if its operating, and head in a NW direction towards the main area with all the campers that have antennas...you cant miss us. You'd be welcome to join our little hamfest in the desert!

When you start seeing antennas like this, you know you have arrived:

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by offgrid

If the Covid restrictions at the MX border are lifted by the time you get to AZ try the Gulf of California coast. Puerto Penasco and San Felipe areas are great in the winter/spring and only a couple of hours from the border. Warmer than AZ which can be pretty chilly especially at night. Went down there all the time when we lived in AZ. Kinda like where folks in the SW go to escape all the snowbirds.Tongue

I'll have to dig a bit deeper and see what's up! I was posted this morning about a few folks looking to caravan Quarzite AZ to Baja. They're a boondocking group with several Overlander members.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>