R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAccess hatch for Antifreeze access

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Access hatch for Antifreeze access
    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:38pm
I have gotten tired of lifting the entire plywood and bed mattress on our Rpod-190 to reach the water pump when it comes time to close the camper and fill it with antifreeze. Lifting that bed and propping it up becomes tiring and as i get older I sure don't want to wrestle it or start paying to have it done.
I found an easy way to fill the system with antifreeze by installing a access cover on the side of the camper. I now only have to reach in, pull out the fill tube, turn the valve and begin. I still have to lift the mattress up a little to gain access to the water heater values, but it is SO much easier not having to prop up the entire mattress and plywood. By the way. I have never reinstalled the screws to the plywood in 3 years now. The front of the camper does not have any bounce compared to the rear. If you want a PDF of the install, The link is here.

www.server1.network/rpod/rpod190-access-cover.pdf

Let me know if this helps. It costs about $16, images and link on the document.
Wynnster
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
Good Idea.  When purchasing our 177 back in March 2011 I also did not wish to go through the ordeal you described. . . . . and never have.  Before that first winter I lifted up the mattress and cut a hole 5" x 7", directly over the 3 valves and big enough so a hand and easily reach in and turn all 3 valves.  That was the first and only winter where the suction hose was used and 2 gallons of antifreeze utilized for the winterization process.  Since 2012 an air compressor has been used to blow out the lines; takes less than 2 minutes to blow out all lines 2x.  Then a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze is used for the traps and the top of the toilet to keep the seal moist.  Northern Michigan winters - no leaks - no breaks - no problems.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:49pm
Love your idea also. I will add that to the plywood over the water heater.  between the two ideas, our lives are easier !
I appreciate the feedback!!
Wynnster
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:51pm
I forgot to mention, I use the little harbor freight pancake compressor turned down to 20 pounds. I attach a water hose adapter and a 75cents shutoff from walmart to blow out the lines also.
Wynnster
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by jato

Good Idea.  When purchasing our 177 back in March 2011 I also did not wish to go through the ordeal you described. . . . . and never have.  Before that first winter I lifted up the mattress and cut a hole 5" x 7", directly over the 3 valves and big enough so a hand and easily reach in and turn all 3 valves.  That was the first and only winter where the suction hose was used and 2 gallons of antifreeze utilized for the winterization process.  Since 2012 an air compressor has been used to blow out the lines; takes less than 2 minutes to blow out all lines 2x.  Then a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze is used for the traps and the top of the toilet to keep the seal moist.  Northern Michigan winters - no leaks - no breaks - no problems.

I have a 177 and I'm not understanding how your cutting a hole over the valves is easier.  Don't you have to lift the mattress up anyway to reach that hole?

I don't find it much of a problem to lift the plywood and mattress to access the valves.  I unscrew two screws, lift up the plywood, prop it up with two 1x2's, and turn the valves.

What am I missing?

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
Yes, I do lift up the corner of the mattress and let it sit on my shoulder while I reach down and turn the 3 valves.  I timed it last month when I did this - 19 seconds from start to finish with the mattress in its original position.  I guess the only difference from what you do is this way there are no screws to fuss with and no 1 x 2's to prop up the mattress AND plywood.  The mattress is much more flexible to lift by itself than having said mattress and plywood (no flex) which would mean you are basically lifting the whole thing to gain access.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:54pm
I forgot that I have a 3"  foam mattress and 1 inch topper on that mattress. In my case it is difficult  to remove the topper and foam and have them in the camper while I manage the mattress. Sooo, the mattress is extremely heavy with that stuff on top. The mattress is a dream to sleep on !
Today I removed the plywood and cut it along the heater line so I can reach the other vales easier. I do not have pictures, but I got the idea from some else who did this.
Going to be so much easier as I get older! already 62 1/2, wont be long I cant easily fight that mess.

Wynnster
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 8:49pm
our 179 is probably a little different layout.  I screwed the front half of the plywood decking to the framing.  I added hinges to the rear half and use a prop rod to hold it open for access.
works great and relatively easy
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
I know the pump and HWT are in different places in different models. This is what I did in our 172

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 5:12am
Nice !. I am sore today from pulling out that mattress, foam and topper to cut the wood, but it will be worth it. I am going to post my other mods this week to help other s out. Post full pics of your 172 if your have them. Looks good!
Wynnster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>