R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTilting the pod back during winter storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilting the pod back during winter storage
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:28am
Folks, from another of my posts about a small leak near the low point drains, i cant find the problem, so is it a good idea to tilt the pod back during winter storage for better run off and maybe temporarily stop the leak for now? The manual says to have the pod level at all times due to the window design but i also saw on youtube to tilt the pod back for better run off during winter storage.
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
Badweissenbier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:27pm
I keep mine tilted forward about an inch or 2 and tilted to the slide out side an inch. ( I have levels mounted to make it easier)
Poddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:42pm
I tilted her forward and water is dripping out now (so that tells me the problem may be behind that point). It's possible the problem may be around the city water intake (there's a rubber cap that pops out and the white plastic cap just turns and turns both ways (i put some tuck tape around that area temporarily for now). Also noticed an approx. 1/4" hole over the manual fresh water intake, plugged that up too for now just in case.
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Poddy

I tilted her forward and water is dripping out now (so that tells me the problem may be behind that point). It's possible the problem may be around the city water intake (there a rubber cap that pops out and the white plastic cap just turns and turns both ways (i put some tuck tape around that area temporarily for now). Also noticed an approx. 1/4" hole over the manual fresh water intake, plugged that up too for now just in case.
That hole is a vent. You should not plug that. As for the city water connection, it would be good to look inside at the connections to make sure the hoses are properly attached inside and that nothing has punched a hole in any of them.

One thing I found with mine is that the water heater cover was not sealed properly around the flange that holds the cover. Sealant had been put over the top of a label that then peeled up and let water behind it. The hole for the water heater was not cut to the shape of the heater, but was cut square. That left a big gap through which the water that got behind the label flowed. The symptom was water leaking out of the bottom of the RPod. If you have not done so, check the sealant around your water heater. Something similar may be happening.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Poddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:44pm
StephenH, i realize that's a vent, but i think it's a good idea to plug it now for the winter (i used duct seal that can be removed easily come the Spring- it's similar to play dough) and maybe (just maybe) that vent is let go or loose inside and rain water getting in the outer wall (just trying to cover all bases). I checked the water heater flange but will re-check again more carefully. Tks
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply