R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Question for R-196

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Question for R-196
    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm
I was wondering what brand / size size generator other R-196 owners are using. My unit came with 100W of solar which won't go very far when boon-docking. I'd appreciate some input of what would be best for this 22.2 ft camper. Thanks! ~Gypsiejanie
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm
To some extent the answer may depend on how you are going to be able to haul your generator(s) around.

You need at least about 2400 watts to run the air conditioner (with not much else.)  If you want to be able to run the air and the oven and a hair dryer at the same time you need at least 3000 to 3500 watts.  A 3000w generator is a lot heavier than a 2400w generator, and takes a strong person or two to put in the back of a truck.  One healthy person can generally move a 2400w generator around, but even that can be challenging for some people.

Honda, and some others, make 2000w generators that can be used in pairs (for 4000w total).  You can take 1 genny if you know you're not going to use the air, or both of them to have all the power you need.  Of course you have to know how you're going to haul two generators.

One thing I think is vitally important, unless you will only ever camp in isolated sites, and even then for your own sanity, is to get a quiet generator.  Quiet is worth paying extra for, in my opinion.  Honda and Yamaha make quiet generators with very good reputations for reliability and ease of starting.  Related to this, it doesn't matter how quiet they are, most campgrounds have generator hours that prohibit their use overnight.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Gypsiejanie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
Thanks. That info is helpful.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 9:40pm
If you 100% KNOW you will not be using the microwave or roof A/C then you can get by with a smaller genset....using it only to recharge the batteries and keep all the other systems functioning if you dont have enough solar.

A typical 1000-1500 watt inverter generator will keep the batteries charged, barely sip gas, and are easy to carry, along with being pretty quiet. 

Again, they wont be able to power a microwave or the roof A/C...but if you are boondocking in pleasant weather, nothing too extreme (hot or cold) then you may be fine with one of those.

If you DO plan on powering the microwave and/or the roof air, then you will need a large and heavy generator, or two compatible gensets and a parallel kit as mentioned above. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 8:51am
You certainly can run the a/c with a 2.0 or 2.2 kw generator, I run mine all the time with a 2kW Honda. You need to add an Easystart device to the a/c to reduce the starting current. 

You can't run anything else (other than the converter at a low level to maintain the battery) while running the a/c. If you want to run the microwave that's fine, turn the a/c off while doing so. Some of the inverter generators, even up to around 2.5-3kw still won't start the a/c without an Easytart device BTW. 

The combination of a 2.2kw generator and an Easystart provides the lightest weight option, but not the lowest cost, option. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 10:02am
you asked about a generator-which I can't help you with.
However, you also said that 100 watts of solar "won't go very far in boondocking".
I have to disagree totally.  We have been out for many days using a 100 watt suitcase solar panels.  It keeps our 2 6v GC-2 batteries fully charged. We can keep our batteries charged indefinitely if we can get about 3-4 hours of sun each day.
Have you tried using the solar panels? Have you tried to be energy conservative? Everything will work except the microwave and air conditioning.  you can easily boondock without those two power hogs.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:28am
If I'm looking to buy a generator, i.e., I don't already have one, I think I'd go for the versatility of a a generator that could be counted on to run the AC without having to worry about the expense and installation of an EasyStart.  I have a Yamaha EF2400iSH (so I'm biased towards it), but it starts and runs the AC fine.  If I thought I'd never care to run the AC, a lighter weight 1000 to 1500w generator might make sense, as mentioned above.  I'd rather have a little power to spare though.

As for 100w solar panels, I agree with Pod People, as long as you're camping somewhere with fairly reliable sun.  I take my solar panels to the beach, for sure, but I don't even pack them when we go to the Smokies, for example.  I always take my genny unless I know I'm going to have hookups.  A couple of days of rain and clouds and your battery could be in trouble if all you have to boost it is solar.

For just topping up the battery, yeah, go for a smaller, lighter genny.  I'm getting old and even a 75 lb generator is enough for me.  (Just looking at Yamaha, my 2400w genny is 75 lbs; their 3000w genny is 150 lbs.  Their 1000w genny is only 28 lbs!

So, yeah, if you don't need the AC or the microwave, solar panels backed up with a 1000w genny would be a good way to go.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:08pm
The problem with the a/c is the compressor’s very high startup current, not running it after startup. The easystart fixes that, reducing the starting current by 3x or more. The Honda 2k (now 2.2k) are under 50 lbs. Works reliably with the easystart to run the a/c. Very well proven solution by many many people. There are other generators in that size and weight range too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:19pm
I have been looking as well.....you can get the Harbor Freight Predator for about 400 but it is a 2kw peak 1600 watt running, so not sure if it would run the AC.  I saw this at Costco:

It is 2300 peak and 1800 running so it may be able to run the AC....it uses a Yamaha engine and has a 30 amp RV plug in.

It has 2500 peak 1850 running.  It has a 20 amp outlet.  It should be able to run the AC.  It weighs 32lbs which is a big plus.  

Since I haven't tried any of these I can only go by the specs so I am not sure they would run the AC.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:24pm
My a/c uses about 1700 watts running, so I'd get one with a continuous rating of that or higher. Just to be clear though, likely none of those will start the a/c without an easystart.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>