R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod 196 Key & Lock Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gypsiejanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 196 Key & Lock Question
    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 6:55pm
I'm purchasing a 2021 R-pod 196 / Hood Edition. I've read and seen YouTube videos talking about RVs having universal keys, which presents a safety concern for me if others can unlock my unit. Anyone have experience with the RV4 Lock / Keyless entry which will work for the door or an option for the locking hatches? Thanks in advance. ~Gypsiejanie
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 3:14pm
All the locks on a new 196 are the same for that trailer only
The Pirate's Pod
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:56am
There are 2 locks on the handle. One is for the dealer to get in and out, and is keyed the same for every camper. the second lock is a "deadbolt" lock. That one is different, but still plenty of campers have the same key. Keyless entry is awesome in my opinion. I hate carrying keys, especially if your at the beach or hiking. I've had the R.V. locks for 4 or 5 years, and they work great. Although "keyless" it actually has keylocks in it as well. One being the dealer keyed lock. The "keypad" controls the deadbolt lock.  There are probably some key copies out there, that fit it, theres only so many different keys, but I would think much fewer. The convenience factor alone is well worth it. Plus, my door is locked anytime I walk away, and I don't have to worry about if my wife or kids can get in. As far as the storage door locks, I use combi-cam locks on those, so no keys needed there either. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Gypsiejanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gypsiejanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:46am
Thank you

Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:39pm
Rekeying your RV locks is a straightforward process. However, there are a few essential things you need to become successful at this venture. A rekey kit can include a retainer ring tool, a plug follower tool, and color-coded lock pins. Some manufacturers also include T-pin springs, pin springs, key gage, retainer cap pins, removable caps, and T-pins. I strongly recommend studying these parts to know how to use them properly. It is ideal to order the precise rekey kit for your RV’s lock model. It should also come with detailed instructions on how to disassemble and rekey your RV lock.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:00pm
I have the Bauer electronic lock on the door and the storage and shower hatches are keyed the same. I recently had a problem with the door lock. The deadbolt would lock, but it wasn't unlocking fully. After changing batteries did not fix it, I ended up taking it out of the door and lubricating it with Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant formulated with PTFE and then reinstalling it. The lock is working well again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:31am
My new camper has handles similar to the door on the storage compartment. RVlock now sells (not sure when they started) keyless locks for the storage doors too. I'm going to install them on my new camper. More expensive than my combi cam locks, but I like the units. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:46am
Locks of any kind only keep honest people out.  
CAPTKIDD
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 2:56pm
The keyless lock will definitely provide more convenience by not needing to carry keys on your person, however I think any security benefits are marginal at best. It doesn't take much for someone to gain access to an Rpod, unfortunately.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 6:14pm
Convenience is key. There is no way to keep a person that really wants to get in, out. So my main concern is what's good for me.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>