R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding a small inverter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a small inverter
    Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 7:31pm
I would like to add a small inverter on my rp189.  Is there any 12 volt external source available or where is the best place to hook up.  I only want a small 300 watt to run the TV.  I don't want to have to run really large wiring if I can avoid it.
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
Isn't the converter behind the fuse/breaker panel? It is in my 180. You can tap 12V there and then feed the TV breaker from the inverter. Maybe run 12" of wire?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 6:23am
If you do that will there be any problem when you are running on 120 AC.  It would have both inputs at the same time.  Would I need a switch to turn off the inverter?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 7:36am
Don't mess with the breaker panel. If you want to put in a permanently installed inverter then put in a receptacle for it. Use a different colored receptacle and face plate so you don't get them mixed up. A 300 watt inverter will require about 30 amps at 12V so you would need to run a minimum of 10 awg wire to it. And be sure that there is a 30A fuse on your new 12V line to protect that wire. 

But why permanently install the inverter? You can install a 12V power port, aka cigarette lighter port, and plug the little inverter into that as needed. If you get a 12V port with a couple of usb ports next to it you can charge your portable electronics that way too. 

Also consider swapping the TV out for a dual voltage one.  That's what I did, they're not expensive. Bolts right up to the same mount and will come with a 12V plug and a 120V one, so you can leave it plugged into both supplies and it will automatically switch to 120V if that's available. Much more efficient than running from an inverter. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
That is what I was originally thinking was installing a 12v power port.  There is a usb charge port that I could pull the wire from or the slide out control?  I suspect the usb port doesn't have the wiring/fuse for it.  I could pull the power off the backside of the panel and use an inline fuse.  I don't anticipate using this a lot just on quick lay over stops.  I didn't want to change out the TV just yet but adding a 12 volt plug would give me the option.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 8:44am
Not sure where everything is located in the 189. I tapped the supply for the stereo for my 12V port because its within a foot of the TV. That is already on a 10-15A fuse IIRC, so the port and wire is protected but would not support full output from a 300 watt inverter, more like 100 watts max. I have a 300 watt inverter I've used a couple of times in my port but just to charge a laptop, much less than 300 watts. The TV uses much less than 300 watts as well so its wouldn't be a problem, but if you want to use more power from the inverter then you'll either need to tap a circuit with a bigger fuse or add a new circuit and fuse.

Just be sure wherever you tap that there is an appropriate fuse protecting the circuit and the fuse is upstream from where you tap. You don't have to add a fuse if there is already one in the panel and you use the appropriate wire gauge. 15A for 14 gauge, 20A for 12 gauge, 30A for 10 gauge. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 4:14pm
I found this:  https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-Black-Mount-Charging-Outlet/dp/B0814BT629/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rv+wall+mount+12v+supply&sr=8-4

I have a usb outlet I could wire this in the same spot.  Only issue I see is the rate the 12v at lower wattage....I suspect because of the wire size they send.  It could handle 150 watts which is enough to power the TV.  I could use larger wire and probably get more wattage.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 5:05pm
I saw a comment that it is rated for 120W which would be 10A. That should be fine for the TV. If it is 120W rated then put it on a 10A fuse and call it good, don't try to feed it more current than its rated for. The only drawback I see is the LED parasitic loss. Unfortunately you seem to rarely find one of these without the LED anymore, mine has one too. Its a tiny load but you would still want to disconnect the battery or leave it on charge while in storage. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 5:50pm
I have a battery switch for complete disconnect of the 12 volt.  I installed it to avoid discharge.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm
If you are digging around in the cabinet with the converter, you can tap into the 10ga line that feeds the 12vdc heating element of the fridge. On mine this wire bypasses the converter, is orange, and is fed thru a self-resetting circuit breaker mounted to the floor inside the cabinet. 

You will not likely be using the 12v power for the fridge at the same time you are powering your television and inverter...it will need to be one or the other. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>