Topic ClosedNeed help - Leaking roof - Event Date: 28 Oct 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GodsPod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Need help - Leaking roof
    Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:39am
Fred,  Thank you for the tips and insight.  Good luck is right . . . appreciate it!
Bob

2016 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:03am
I had to remove the old 3M 5200 caulk that I tried to use earlier.  That's a matter of cutting it off as best as I could.  It was easy to get off the spoiler.  Then, I cleaned it very well with a mild soap and water solution on a rag so as to not let water run under the spoiler, then cleaned it with denatured alcohol.  As for the screw heads, they were small enough and the Eternabond was thick enough, that the bumps were not an issue.  When you apply it, you need to be careful taking off the paper backing, trying to do it as you lay the tape down.  The glue is very sticky and if you let the tape stick to the wrong place or let it stick on itself, it's a major problem.  I cut two side pieces first and carefully laid them flat on each end of the spoiler, then removed the paper as the pieces remained stationary.  I put two rows of the tape along the top edge of the spoiler with the same process.  Good luck in your project!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GodsPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:56pm
Fred, What, if any, did you use to prep the area around the spoiler? The previous owner of my 179 has a rather bumpy (over the screw heads and such) and uneven caulking job that he did and I am a bit nervous about simply taping over it.
Bob

2016 179
GodsPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:46pm
Jay,

Thank you for your help. I think since the window may take "professional" help to rectify if it is my leak source, I am going to start with the spoiler and see if that cures my problem.

Again, Thank you for your quick response and for your suggestions.

Bob
Bob

2016 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:30am
+1 to the use of 4" Eternabond tape to seal the spoiler.  We did it after the recall retrofit on our 172 and never had a problem with leakage.  That tape is tough and durable.  It'll last for years.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:45am
I have not used eternabond tape to seal the spoiler.  You can do a search on the subject on the forum and there has been many posts with good directions, just make sure you search at least a year in the past maybe a year and a half.  When I have used the tape on the roof I have cleaned the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and it is holding up well.  I used the tape to attach flexible solar panels to the roof of the pod along with silicone underneath the panels.  As far as posting pictures I have not crossed that bridge yet either, but everyone makes it sound easy??
Jay

179/2019
GodsPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:50pm
Jay, for the spoiler sealing best results would I need the 2" or 4" Eternabond tape and what is the best prep for the surface area? Are the Eternaclean and Eternabond Spray worth the money? I would like to share a photo of the sealant currently used on it. Is there a way to do that on the forum?

Bob
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:20am
Eternabond is a product "type" of sticky tape that is used for RV roof repair and other things on the exterior of the trailer. Does a good job sealing up the spoiler above the back window. 
Jay

179/2019
GodsPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
Mike, Thank you for your help. Is eternabond a product or a technique? Not familiar with much of this be terminology.
GodsPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
Thank you Jay. It could well be the culprit. I have noticed some rippling of the back wall board beneath the window. Good advice. Will look into it. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>