R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2021.5 195 Water Pump not pulling from tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021.5 195 Water Pump not pulling from tank
    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:24pm
We pick up the camper a couple of week ago and this is the only thing I did not test in four days of camping.  I planned to flush the fresh water tank to day but the pump would not pull water.  I discovered that since they winterized the unit at the factory (and the dealer half un-winterized it; water heater bypass off) the intake bypass was on to pull water from the alternate hose for anti-freeze.  Turned the bypass off with the fresh water tank completely full and no water.  Turn the bypass on and put the anti-freeze hose in a pail of water and the pump works fine.  Tried moving the bypass valve off and on with the pump on in case there was a priming issue.  I drained the water tank and refilled a couple of time to see if there was plastic shavings or junk in the tank but found none that came out when draining though a fine mesh bag.

Any thoughts?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:41pm
I have had my FW water system take some time to prime. Like you I used the AF syphon hose to prime the water pump, then put back in position to pull from FW tank. I don't know how long you let it pull, but I have been surprised how long it took to prime, let it run.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:28am
If the pump primes fine on the antifreeze line but even after a bit of time doesn't on the water tank line then next step is probably to disconnect that line and be sure it is clear. If its not that then I'm not sure what else to suggest. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 4:00pm
It might not hurt to pull the line off the connection at the tank and make sure it is clear of debris. An alternative is to remove the suction line from the pump and blow air through it to push any obstructions back into the tank if they are present. Then reconnect it and  try again. Make sure the strainer is empty of debris also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:52am
Pulled the line off the pump and blew air into it.  Nothing.  I think a kink in the line or the connection at the tank.  Its a warranty issue but dealers are backed up into December and in New England I would probably need to get it out of the snow to bring it to a dealer.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:07am
The thing that comes to my mind is that the hole into the fw tank maybe sealed over (never penetrated).  To check it you would have to cut the fw line near the tank connection because at least on my trailer the connection is hard plumbed into the line running to the pump.  There is a PEX connection to a 90* elbow that is screwed into the tank.  After separating the fw line try and blow air through the line if that is OK then try blowing air into the tank.  You will not do any harm to the tank with the air because there is an overflow line to prevent overfilling the tank. Just keep in mind that you have to reconnect the water line and you could install a coupler or even install an additional 3 way valve to drain the tank a different way (it doesn't get any more water out of the tank vs opening the drain already installed in the tank).  Or you could just take it to the dealer and work with their schedule.

Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:55am
Thanks.  All comes down to removing the cover under the camper and looking at it.  It is somewhere down there.  I'll post the solution once I find someone to fix it.  On a side note, the dealer said that if I can find someone to handle the problem right away (given that dealer service departments are booked and winter is coming), they will take care of the warranty paperwork and pay for the repair.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:11am
Our "older" units don't have the cover so everything is exposed under the trailer.  Have fun running it down.
Jay

179/2019
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:56pm