R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp Choosing a Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Choosing a Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:47pm
Hi. I'm new here. I guess I did things a little backwards, I'm getting the R-Pod 196 but haven't bought a tow vehicle yet. I'm thinking about a 2020 Toyota Tacoma, which comes standard with a tow package. I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions. I've never towed a camper or trailer behind a truck, although I have driven a truck and a number of years ago I towed an equipment trailer behind a van. I"m going to be traveling around the US and want enough umph to get over mountains without putting undo stress on the tow vehicle or going 15 mph. Thanks in advance.
~Gypsiejanie
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:58pm
Looks like a lot depends on which configuration Tacoma you get:
Payload1,120 to 1,620 lbs
Towing capacity3,500 to 6,800 lbs

I tow our 195 (loaded, no water, weighs in at 4200 lbs to 4400 lbs) with a 2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi with the towing package, and I feel I have more than enough truck...can scoot up the hill on I-70 west of Denver at 65-70 if necessary.  Not sure I'd be happy with less truck.

Others more knowledgeable (and not as shy) as me will weigh in I'm sure.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Gypsiejanie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
I'm a little hesitant about a big truck. I'm only 5'1". I don't want to need a ladder to get in. LOL!

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:39pm
My wife is 5' but has no problem getting in our F-150.  I put one of those after market step rails on it and it works great.  She likes the visibility, but has modified her seat with a cushion and back support.  Now when we have to go into town, she always prefers the truck.  We're thinking of selling our CX-5 since we hardly ever use it any more.

For a TV, just get something that has a big enough margin of error that you won't be on the ragged edge when towing your Pod.  Many people try to tow with 3500 lbs of towing capacity, but it limits you on what you can safely tow.  If you get something with a 6,000+ capacity, you'll never have to worry about whether your TV is overloaded when towing your Pod, provided you don't exceed its gross weight capacity.  Mileage will always come in at between 12 and 15 mpg if you drive 60 or under with most TV's.  You're not likely to do better no matter what you get.  Bottom line is comfort for long trips and adequate capacity to make the towing effortless.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:11pm
Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:47pm
Don't worry about horsepower for  a bit, the most important consideration when towing is managing the weight safely. 

Look at the max gross weight of the 196, ignore the empty weight. That is about 4800 lbs. Its not unlikely that yours will end up pretty close to that weight, especially if you fill your water tank for boondocking. 

Tow vehicle towing specs are stated assuming little to nothing in the tow vehicle besides the driver, which is of course unrealistic. So, add about 1000 lbs to cover passengers and cargo in the TV plus some safety factor so you're not right at your TV's limits. That gives you a tow rating of around 6000 lbs for that trailer. 

Your tongue weight should never be less than 10% under any conditions to minimize sway. In reality it will vary between around 10 and 15%, so could be as high as about 700 lbs for a 196. So, the max rated Tacoma at 6800 lbs is probably about the minimum sized TV you should be considering. Up to you if you want to go with a full sized SUV or pickup to have more safety factor.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:58am
Thank you for your input. Very helpful.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:43am
I will just cut ti the chase here. The tacoma is absolutely fine for pulling the 196. The only concern would be if you are traveling in the rocky mtns regularly. I pull a 195 (same camper) with a Frontier (same truck) with no problem.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I will just cut ti the chase here. The tacoma is absolutely fine for pulling the 196. The only concern would be if you are traveling in the rocky mtns regularly. I pull a 195 (same camper) with a Frontier (same truck) with no problem.

Originally posted by Gypsiejanie

...I"m going to be traveling around the US and want enough umph to get over mountains without putting undo stress on the tow vehicle or going 15 mph....

Well, my take is that Gypsiejanie wants to do just that...tow in the mountains if she so chooses.  How does the Frontier do going up Monarch or Vail Pass?
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:47am
Voice of experience here. I tow a similar sized trailer with a 2013 Tacoma in the Rockies and do just fine. Be sure you get the 3.6L engine, factory tow package, and 4WD. The last is important when towing on anything other than I-70 in sunshine. I opted for the supercharger specifically for mountain altitudes but that's no longer available. Even without the SC the Tacoma will get you to the top of the pass just fine. Maybe not first, but way ahead of the 18 wheelers.

You will also want a weight distribution hitch (WDH) like the Fastway E2 and a transmission temperature monitoring device such as the ScanGauge.

Certainly the F-150 etc will tow better but it's harder to climb into for small folks and a lot bigger in town. I (we) considered both but I'm very happy with the Tacoma, both for everyday driving and off to the the hills with the trailer.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>