Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCharging while towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging while towing
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:43pm
Running a large wire on the Escape would be impossible for me,  you have to jack the car up so I would have to take it in and pay to have it done....about $150.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:18pm
Ok, but you would have the same issue running a new 120Vac line, right? Plus that would need a mounted 120Vac rated receptacle in addition to your 7 way connector. And you'd need to work up a locking system for the plug running from that receptacle to the charger so it didn't fall out on the road. 

I really think that if you don't want to run a larger conductor you would be better off with a dc/dc converter. Simpler and more efficient, and you can use your existing 12awg line for it. Run that to the dc/dc mounted in the trailer and from there to the trailer battery. You might try something like this and see it it works for you:

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:19pm
This is still counter productive. Why not just run on propane while not connected to shore power. That is what I have done until I recently completed the DC to DC charger for the LiFePO4 battery. I also had a problem with charging while the refrigerator was on 12V power. We ran with propane for 4 years with no issues.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by StephenH

This is still counter productive. Why not just run on propane while not connected to shore power. That is what I have done until I recently completed the DC to DC charger for the LiFePO4 battery. I also had a problem with charging while the refrigerator was on 12V power. We ran with propane for 4 years with no issues.
+1, I already suggested that. Consider that 12V operation isn't even an option on the new rPods with the larger fridges, either your fridge is off while towing or you run on propane. Some folks just aren't comfortable with the propane on while towing I guess. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 4:46pm
I have my pod in storage and needed to charge the battery.  I hooked my inverter to my Escapes 12v plug and used a charger I had.  It is a 10 amp charger and it draws 1.9 amps.  It worked perfectly so I suspect if I wanted to run a charger while underway I could do it easily with no additional wiring.  Not sure how much draw the inverter uses running the charger but it is not an issue when engine is running.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
How do you get power to the rpod without additional wiring? There have to be some current carrying conductors there one way or another. Either you will be using the existing 12V conductors, running new 120V ones, or running new 12V ones.

Re efficiency losses, you are probably charging at about 14V so that is 14x10=140 Watts. You are providing the charger with 120v x 1.9A=228 watts, so you have lost close to 40% of the power in the charger alone. You will likely have a comparable loss in the inverter, so you will wind up requiring something like 20A or more from your alternator to get 10A (btw the fridge takes about 11-12A at 12V).

So why not just run the fridge on propane and for everything else directly charge from the alternator as per normal practice? I don’t see the upside?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 7:50am
"From a legal standpoint, so long as your propane lines and the RV refrigerator are installed according to code, then there is no law against driving down the road with the propane system on. However, there is one caveat to keep in mind. Most states require you to turn off all gas appliances and sources of flame when you are refueling."

I'm not thrilled with turning off and on the propane everytime I fuel.  I have been able to run with the frig on DC for 9 hours with no issue while driving. The charger idea is more for if I want to do an overnight and don't have a AC hookup....I can top off the battery when I park. My Escape is already wired for 12 v in the rear of the car so it is just a matter of plugging in the converter and connecting to the battery.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:04am
Also the 1.9 amps is max draw on charger.....it doesn't charge at max very lon at all.  If it were coupled with the alternator output of the car I doubt it would pull full charge either as the alternator would assist. I don't intend to use it on the road since the alternator seems to keep up okay.  My next purchase is digital voltmeter so I have a better idea what is going on with the battery.  Found a pretty cool one that will plug into my 12 v port on the pod.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:04am
Originally posted by pedwards2932

Not sure if this would work but I was thinking of a way to avoid trying to run really large wiring from vehicle battery to TT.  You can get 300 watt inverters fairly cheap that will run off a cigerette lighter outlet.  The NOCO GENIUS10 puts out 10 amps and requires 150 watts.  Seems like this may be enough to keep the battery charged while towing.  I know you can get dc to dc chargers but they require you run really large wires.  What do you think?

Since the Rpod's converter already has the capability of charging the battery while the vehicle is running, I have to assume your TV does not have a strong enough alternator to run it. The other option, as you are trying to do, is to use a smaller charger in hopes of it working.

There is a Auto-breaker up front on the Rpod and this is where I tapped in to run my inverter. Just follow the wiring back on the harness, you'll see it. This may be your spot to tie in.

Like others, I do believe you are better served not going DC/AC/DC and staying DC/DC. Pickup a smaller DC/DC unit that doesn't require as much input wattage. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:35am
My car was already wired for the DC and I already had the inverter to run my TV on DC when needed.  As I said so far running the refrig on DC hasn't caused an issue in 9 hours I probably don't need it while running but if I am stopping for overnight without a hook up it would help to top off the charge.
I wasn't aware of the converter charging the battery while running.....I assumed the alternator output was charging the pod battery?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>