Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAggravations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggravations
    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm
I hate motels. They will have to pay me to sleep in one from now on. Of course, that wont happen so we are back to square one. 

I hate motels.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

Yes trailer was at 3450 and I weighed the water and removed stuff so I should be at 3330.  I was including passengers in combined and I had about 100 and that won't change.
I am very familiar with the bridges as I used to commute across the HRBT.  We are going to the Eastern shore next week so I will keep a check on conditions before leaving. I thiink on the Chesapeake Bay bridge you don't pull off you just tell the toll person the propane is shut off.  We are going to Cape Charles so it is only about an hour or so trip.

I’m not sure about the Chesapeake Bay bridge as I haven’t taken the rpod over that one. The 64 and the 664 bridges between Hampton and Norfolk both require you stop and show them it’s off. Not a big deal unless you want to run your fridge on propane, then you have to find somewhere to pull off after the bridge to turn it back on. It’s really the tunnels not the bridges sections. Propane settles so they are concerned it will stay in the tunnels if there is an accident and a leak occurs. The tunnels are there so that the Navy won’t get bottled up in the event an enemy attacks the bridges.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

Yes trailer was at 3450 and I weighed the water and removed stuff so I should be at 3330.  I was including passengers in combined and I had about 100 and that won't change.
I am very familiar with the bridges as I used to commute across the HRBT.  We are going to the Eastern shore next week so I will keep a check on conditions before leaving. I thiink on the Chesapeake Bay bridge you don't pull off you just tell the toll person the propane is shut off.  We are going to Cape Charles so it is only about an hour or so trip.

Just a note that the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (which is in Maryland) and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (which in is Virginia) are two different things.

But yes, at the CBBT, you just let the toll taker that your propane is turned off.

At the HRBT, you have to pull into the inspection station and tell them that your propane is turned off. They write down your license plate number on their log.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:41am
Yeah thanks, I forgot about the bridge up in MD.  HRBT and MMMBT (Monitor-Merrimack Memorial Bridge Tunnel, had to look up the official name) require stops for propane inspection. I guess the CBBT considers the toll booth to be the stop?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm
Got my Hayes Sway Master in today.....it was new in box.  Not sure about warranty since it was an e-bay purchase?  I also purchased a Sherline scale for tongue weight so I can accurately weigh tongue weight.  I have the Curt Better Weigh but I am not convinced it is very accurate.  It sure didn't weigh total weight very well.....it  was off by 1000 lbs.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
I think you will be okay with the Hayes. Please check with Hayes to make sure it is one that is newer or if older has had the recall applied to it. See this for details. If you had purchased direct from Hayes, it would not be an issue, but I have no idea how old the unit you purchased is since you say you purchased it on ebay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the info....will check it out.  I think since other companies sell them I should be ok.  You actually can't buy it direct they send you to retailers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:37am
Contacted Hayes and the unit I have will work fine with my Escape.  The issue/recall is for vehicles with integrated brake control.  Hayes will do the upgrade for free.  I think I may wait until I am done with using my r-pod this year as it takes about a 2 week turnaround.  Thanks for the heads up.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:59am
I had bought it and got the recall notice. Mine is upgraded. I'm glad you found out. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:30am
I think we will probably use the camper up to December and I will send it back then.  There is no issue with using it.....just want the upgrade in case I sell the trailer.   I used my Sherwood scale and the tongue weight is 450.  That scale works good no issues, I would recommend it.  I know my trailer hitch is rated for 350 lbs so I will need to redistribute to get it closer to 350.  Shouldn't be too hard to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>