R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStorage Tank Warmers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storage Tank Warmers
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:14am
The Rpod manual mentions turning on some warming mats that are supposed to prevent the fluid from freezing in cold weather. Anybody know where the switches are to turn these things on? The manual doesn't say.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm
There aren't any on any rPod I've ever head of, unless someone added them. And you really shouldn't. They won't protect the water lines themselves, which are more vulnerable to freezing than the tanks, and they use a huge amount of electricity. Its better just to winterize the the trailer when it gets below freezing and use bottled water kept warm in the trailer to flush the toilet and for cooking if you plan on doing any winter camping. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BMac12345 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:57pm
Good to know. I've seen a couple winterizing options. One involves filling everything with water and some sort of RV antifreeze. But I've read that Rpods shouldn't be winterized with the antifreeze for some reason. So would emptying all the lines and tanks be preferred?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:08pm
Lots of threads on here about winterizing, with detailed instructions. If you did a poll of the forum you would finds some folks blow the lines out with compressed air (being careful not to use much pressure) and just put antifreeze in the drain traps, others drain and then pump RV antifreeze into the lines using the provided suction line to the 12V water pump.  Either way you drain the water heater tank, bypass it, and drain all three storage tanks. No major problems I've heard of doing it either way, but if you pump RV antifreeze in you have to flush it out in the spring. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:06pm
+1 to Offgrid. I live in TN, I clear lines with compressed air (30-40 psi), add antifreeze to traps and toilet. I have never seen a tank warmer on a factory RPod, and I have never heard of filling tanks with water and antifreeze. The anti-freeze winterizing puts antifreeze in the lines and has to be removed in camping season.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply