R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:00pm
I recently purchased a Honda 2200 generator, a Microaire Easy Start kit and converted the generator to propane with a Hutch Mountain conversion kit.  all working together will start and run the AC on our 179
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:16am
Probably there isn’t one and if there was it likely wouldn’t start the a/c. . It’s the weight that allows the larger generators to spin up the a/c compressor.

Think of it this way: the energy stored in the rotating mass of the generator is transferred electrically to the compressor. The engine can’t throttle up fast enough to do it, it’s all over in a fraction of a second. So the energy has to already be stored in the generator before the compressor is connected. That takes spinning mass.

There is a proven way to do what you want, get an Easystart for the a/c. That greatly reduces the power needed by the compressor by ramping it up more slowly, giving the generator time to throttle up. Then you can use a 2kw-ish generator that is light weight and still get the compressor started.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:37am
I was hoping it would be able to start the A/C on propane. Not sure I want to handle a 100lb generator, which is about what the 3500 watt portable inverter generators weigh. I find it odd that a 2500 watt weighs 39lbs, but the 3400-3500 weighs 95lbs. Adding 1000 watts is 50+ pounds more. 

Any recommendations for a 3500 inverter that runs on propane and weighs around 70lbs? Not sure there is one.
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
It will need to produce much more than 2500 watts momentarily to start the a/c, unless you have an Easystart. More like 5-6 kw. Some small inverter generators can do it, some cannot. Without actual testing involving multiple starts under “hot and high” conditions it is just guesswork.,
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 5:19pm
I am curious how the Champion 2500 worked with the A/C?

There is a new Champion 2500 dual fuel model that will put out 2500 starting watts on propane. I am considering picking one up.

Thanks!
2021 R-pod 196
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:03pm
think about a simple solar suitcase system. It won't run the a/c, but it will keep your batter(y/ies) charged and allow non-hookup camping.they are simple and less cost than a generator, lighter weight  and no fuel to carry. Plus, you can park in the shade and have the panel in the sun. They don't replace a generator, just an alternative.
We have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase and love it.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
Yes, I purchased a dual-fuel generator, but only intend to run it on propane. It is a Firman generator. This is the current model Costco has:  https://www.costco.com/firman-2900w-running--3200w-peak-electric-start-gasoline-or-propane-fuel-powered-inverter-generator-gas-and-lp.product.100481637.html

The one I purchased is not quite as powerful. Mine has 2700 running, 2900 peak while on propane if I recall correctly. It has electric start, which is nice. It does run the AC with no problem, but I had already added a Micro-Air EasyStart for use with the Generac iX2000 I had been using. I like the propane since I don't have to worry about carrying gasoline.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm
One thing to know, pretty much all campgrounds have quiet hours when you can't run a generator, so if you want the generator to run the a/c on a muggy night, you most likely won't be able to unless you're boon docking somewhere. 

For sure you won't hear the generator over that jet exhaust level noise of the a/c. You want to leave the a/c fan on I think because it is really oversized for the trailer so it runs on a pretty short cycle, like 5 minutes on 10 off typically, so it will be waking you up every time the fan starts just as you're falling asleep but if you leave the fan on you get used to it. At least that's how it is for us, others might feel differently. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:06pm
That makes sense.....we are probably going to be at campgrounds with hook ups.  This would be only for occasional use.  The AC on these is pretty noisy so it would probably drown out some of the gen set noise. Is there anyway to make the AC shut the fan down when it hits the proper temp or does it run all the time?  I also have fan on the refrig outside vent that runs all the time.....I bought a thermostat so it will only run when needed....will that work?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:37am
Give it a day or two, someone might know about it. 

One thing on the inverter generators, they aren't really all that quiet when running at full load like they do running the a/c. They run quiet at low load because they can idle down and let the inverter keep the AC frequency at 60 cycles. Not suggesting getting a non-inverter generator, just saying don't be surprised at the noise when you load 'em up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>