R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPower at house outlet needed to run A/C in Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power at house outlet needed to run A/C in Rpod
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:01pm
Can anyone out there give me advice about me plugging in my Rpod power cord to an outlet on my home? I want to run the A/C in my Rpod but I'm afraid I'll blow it up without the right current from my outlet.
Dolphingirlinthecurrent
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:12pm
Do you want to test the A/C or do you need to run it for hours and hours?

Reason I ask is that it 'might' work, but it's likely that you will need everything else in the rpod turned off:

The microwave, the electric element of the water heater, and the charging function of the 120-12v converter.

You will need to buy the adapter that converts the RV plug to a standard household NEMA 15 plug and plug that into the receptacle you plan to use. Use a heavy duty extension cord, 10/3 or 12/3, not 14 or 16 ga.

This outlet really needs to be on a dedicated circuit, or at least make sure there are no other heavy loads on the circuit, such as a toaster oven, microwave, space heater, etc.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm
We run the AC on a normal 20 amp outlet with an adapter. It will run the AC without tripping the breaker as long as you're not running too much other stuff.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:47pm
+1 to GlueGuy
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 4:11pm
+2 to GlueGuy.

15A will run lights and keep the battery charged. You could also run a small electric heater to keep it warm inside. AC might start if there is nothing else running but it will eventually trip the breaker.

20A will run lights and AC, and if the battery is charged, be able to maintain that charge. However, if you pull in and the battery is down and it needs to go into bulk charge mode, no way the AC will run at the same time. Absorption is likely also not viable. Float is okay.

30A will run everything you need to run. Since you likely won't be doing bulk charge, running the water heater and refrigerator on AC and also trying to run the air conditioner all at the same time, it will support everything just like if you were at a campground connected to a shore power pedestal.

You could contact an electrician to see about getting an RV outlet installed. If you do, make double sure he/she understands that you want a 110V 30A RV outlet and not a 220V dryer outlet. If you do get one installed, double check with a voltmeter before you plug your RPod in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:15pm
Nothing will "blow up". The only thing that can happen is you can trip the breaker to that circuit in your home panelboard. If that happens disconnect the rPod and reset the breaker. As others have said, if you turn everything else off in the rPod including the charger the a/c should run even on a 15A circuit for awhile. The charger can be shut off by shutting off its circuit breaker in the rPod panel. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:04am
I've ran the A/C for awhile with the 15 amp adapter and burned up the 15/30 amp adapter and the 15 amp receptacle.  Please install a 30 amp circuit with a dedicated circuit  breaker. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:50am
Originally posted by seafans

I've ran the A/C for awhile with the 15 amp adapter and burned up the 15/30 amp adapter and the 15 amp receptacle.  Please install a 30 amp circuit with a dedicated circuit  breaker. 

If everything is rated and installed properly that shouldn't happen. The household 15A breaker should trip first. If someone uses a 15A cord or adapter on a 20A circuit that would cause it. Also moisture and corrosion on one or the other of the two connections at the adapter will cause it to overheat. Even if you aren't running the a/c those adapters are not water resistant and aren't meant for long term outdoor  use. 

So for sure if you are trailer more than a short period installing a 30A circuit is the way to go. The RV receptacle enclosures have a cover. Its generally not a difficult install a 30A circuit unless there is no access to run the minimum 10 gauge cable from the panel to the receptacle location. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Skysister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:04am
Thanks so very much for your help and information! Really appreciate your taking the time.
Dolphingirlinthecurrent
Skysister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:06am
Thanks so much. I can't wait to plug it in now!
Dolphingirlinthecurrent
 Post Reply Post Reply