R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBaffling Fridge Problem Baffled!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baffling Fridge Problem Baffled!
    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 5:58pm
I swear the Dometic 3-Way fridge is more art than science! Currently, mine is working great in all three modes after 7 years, but it hasn't always been that way. I crossed country with no modifications and it worked great. Then it started acting up. I'm an expert at cleaning, replacing orifice, looking and listening for perfect flame, solar panel boost for 12 volt towing operation and spending wayyy too much money on a Yeti cooler cuz I don't trust it!!

The last year or so, I started getting flame-out while running fridge on propane while towing. Pissed me off cuz it always works perfect when standing still and it is the cleanest propane delivery system on the planet. Something changed with solenoid or draft or karma or wind direction. Don't know what. I was able to run on 12 volt while towing and added a solar panel to my TV to help out so I didn't let it bother me too much. But...being the OCD camper that I am I still wanted to run fridge reliably on propane while towing. Just cuz!!

I can't remember or find where I found this baffle design (I would offer credit), but, hot damn! it works great!! I made mine out of some leftover round ducting I had sitting around. It's really cheap, works great, I swear the fridge works better and it is a work of art!! And please don't call me Art.

The cut size in 8"x10". The cutout is 1 1/2" from bottom, then another 2 1/2" and 2 1/2" deep. Snaps right in. I cut a little tab to secure it a little better. I doesn't get too hot to worry about and works for me. I did re-locate the 12 volt line so no chance of chafe.

Just another Dometic fridge art project!!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
I like it. 

To slightly modify a rule attributed to Arthur Clarke, the inventor of the communications satellite: "Any sufficiently complex technology is indistinguishable from magic". From the point of view of the multitude of variables that can effect the performance of an RV fridge, it really is a pretty complex technology. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:02am
Genius
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Not to put the Baby Ruth in the pool, but my manual says to run the fridge on battery when towing.  Why not just do that? 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Colt

Not to put the Baby Ruth in the pool, but my manual says to run the fridge on battery when towing.  Why not just do that? 

Doodie!! Everybody out of the pool!! Star

Couple of reasons why I prefer fridge on propane...

1) Mine appears to work better on propane.

2) My TV charging system cannot really keep up the 10 amp drain the fridge takes. I would rather use those amps to go back in batteries between boondocking sites.

3) It just pissed me off cuz it was never an issue until it was.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:14pm
If you are running your fridge on propane when filling up your TV with gas be really careful.  Just a thought.
Jay

179/2019
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:45pm
And, for those of us who "upgraded" to the 195 because of the bed orientation, the fridge only runs on propane or shore power. A bit of an oversight for a travel trailer IMHO.
Enjoy Life!!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:09pm
Its not really practical to try to run the larger fridge on 12V, it would put too much current demand on the TV alternator. As it is the 10A requirement for the smaller 3 way fridge provides only marginal cooling and is still too much for many alternators while also running everything else. 

I'm staying out of the debate about the pros and cons of running the fridge on propane while driving, just saying that with the bigger fridge you don't really have the option of running on 12V. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:31pm
Until recently, running on 12V was not an option. The Frontier (and the Escape before that) simply could not provide enough power through the connector to both charge the dual 6V batteries I had previously, and was unsuitable for the LiFePO4 battery I have now. I added a battery isolator and ran a separate 121V circuit to power a DC to DC charger for the LiFePO4 battery. That circuit, coupled with the stronger DC to DC charger now means that I can both charge the battery and run the refrigerator on 12V simultaneously. However, when stopped, the refrigerator still needs to be on either AC power or on LP.

Before making the changes, I towed for thousands of miles while running on LP gas with no problems. I added screens to the refrigerator vents. These were to keep the wasps and other insects out. An added advantage is that screens act as a flame arrestor. I learned about that in science class many years ago. Place a screen above a Bunsen burner and the flame halts at the screen. I have felt safe while towing and even when stopping to fill the gas tank.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm
Colt,

I have done that for years. Honestly my TV handles the load and I'm not one of the cross country campers. Most of my trips are less than 200 miles and primarily to fish. I have owned my 178 for 5 years, and all my systems function. On occasion I have run fridge on propane but not often. I don't boondock, my fridge is cold enough, for my purposes and I pre cool before the trip begins on shore power. When I chose a TV I made sure it could handle a 12V load. Lot of TVs have issues with that and I chose not to do that. It is an owner choice based upon your capabilities.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>